Is there a dye sealer that leaves the leather with a flat, matte color as opposed to making it have a shine?

If you're a tandy leather kind of person, then Eco flow satin sheen works pretty well and is easy to get your hands on. It says it is non-glossy, and the way I applied it last, it had only a slight shine to it but overall a Matt finish.

I don't use it often, but when I have, it has been sprayed in two coats or more through the airbrush... so couldn't say how it goes when applied by cloth/dauber. But for things like key chains (regularly handled, flexible), it has lasted at least a year so far.

if you're not into Eco flow products, then there are other options out there and I am sure others would have good suggestions...

But also depends how water resistant you need if to be. If you need it to stay dry at any cost, try Vaseline! Will go on shiny, but dull down between applications, and as a petroleum jelly product it is hydrophobic.... But it won't let your leather breath well, which could accelerate its wear. I'd put fiebings Aussie leather conditioner in the same category as that, and it's well regarded by a lot of people (myself included) as a good all-purpose finish.

Try Leather Balm Wax, if you are tooling some might get caught in the cuts. You can usually rub it out of the cuts with sheep wool. If that don't work use a hair dryer , not to hot, then rub it out. Buff it to a mellow finish. 

Jim