SDP

Beginner needing advice purchased item's

So I'm addicted, unfortunately I have rush out and made some not so smart purchases from my local Tandy however I haven't used any of the Items and now looking to make the right discussion bye reaching out to you. Should I return the item's below  and purchase some Leather craft tools as they are priced better and I believe my local Tandy has poor customer service, so I'm looking to do business with LC, SLC or Rocky Mountain Leather supply. Understand I'm not trying to bash Tandy but my experience locally has not been wonderful. Below are the purchases I have made (ruffly a $100.00) and looking to return, please let me know your thoughts as I'm a new to leather work and trying to make the right choices.

Stitching Awl 1-1/4 blade P# 31218-01

Edge Beveler size 2 P#8076-02

Fine Diamond Chisel 8 prong - 3.5MM P# 88057-08

Fine Diamond Chisel 2 prong - 2.5MM P# 88055-02 (Payed for a 3.5MM and was given a this one)

Carriage hand sewing thread - 0.55 mm x 91.4 m

Double wood slicker - P# 8121-2

Tandy are a known quality, neither top end or crap, you definitely want to exchange the 2 prong for the 3.5mm version

Until you practice and know what you need through experience I would suggest you stay with Tandy as better tools will not make better work, until you have learnt how to use them fully, and can appreciate the difference the more expensive ones make, or if they actually do make a difference. some brands rely on marketing rather than quality to make their name, others have both marketing and quality, some people just like the most expensive tool they can buy and have no idea if its value for money, but it looks pretty 

Important question --  What are you planning on making?

Off-hand, I am guessing that you will want to return all of this stuff and start over.

Well, I take that back. You will probably want the edge beveler and if you have a drill or something similar to mount the slicker on, keep that, I guess.

Again, there is no definitive answer until we know what you are making.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

Also, I think many start with Tandy, and then gravitate towards what works best for them.  Me, I have a few dozen awls and a few dozen pricking irons, including the Tandy I started with.  I tend to migrate towards my favorite.  I will probably sell the edge beveler I have and find another, since I haven't found one I like after doing this for years.  Many of the tools I have begun to prefer are really old ones.

:dunno:

Also, I haven't done saddle work, and haven't done much with holsters.  So I suppose I'd use different tools if I was working on those, so yea, what everyone is saying about no answer until you know what you are making is true.

YinTx

Hello SDP and welcome to the forum, and the fun! Here are a few comments -

Even if you have a stitching chisel, an awl is very desirable. The Tandy model you have listed is good enough, but you will get the best results if you sharpen & polish it on fine wet & dry paper, followed by a strop. Search You Tube for 'Sharpening an awl' Work through paper grades from about 1000 to 2500 or 3000 in 4 or 5 steps

The edge beveller #8076 - 02 is good enough to start with, as it is easy to use and easy to sharpen. Search YouTube for 'Sharpening an edge beveller'

An 8 prong chisel is really only used on long stitching runs, like bags & large wallets. 2,5mm chisel has quite narrow spaces which are more difficult to sew. So I would try to swap these two chisels for a 2 prong, and a 4 prong, with 3,5mm spaces. #88057 - 02 & - 04. Other than that, these chisels are reasonable enough, I have a couple myself

When you start you may wish to try different types of thread to see what you like. The carriage thread is good, and the price has come down since Tandy's reorganisation, so you may as well keep it

You would only get the best out of the slicker if you can mount it in a drill, such as a Dremel

I don't know every supplier in the USA, but Rocky Mountain Leather Supply looks decent Here are some things you could get from them -

Economy leather burnisher; this is known as the 'carrot' type. You'll know what I mean when you see it

Economy Scratch Compass/Wing Divider, for setting & marking the line of the stitching

Are you using Tandy needles? John James needles are considered the best, and not expensive. Get a packet of size 002

I have tried Yue Fung thread, and it's very good. It is Chinese, but it is sold by RMLS under their own brand name  - Twist. Maybe try a reel of linen, and of synthetic, and see how you go on

There are loads of videos on YT about leather, both techniques such as saddle stitch or edge burnishing; and specific items, like belts or wallets. Watch as many as you have the stamina for, and you'll see what tools are used, and how they are used. Have a look at Leodis Leather, aka Ian Atkinson; and Nigel Armitage

You can hit stitching chisels with a steel hammer for a short time, but it will eventually damage them, so get a soft hammer or mallet, like wood, hide, nylon, or see what they have in an auto parts store

A utility knife/box cutter is fine to start with, but the blades will be improved by extra sharpening with wet & dry, and a strop, even if they're new

Don't forget the leather! Bellies and splits are the cheapest; not good enough for the best work, but quite good enough for practising and small items

Get a scratch/round awl. It's used to enlarge holes, especially for backstitching; marking out leather; and generally poking & prodding around

Get a block of beeswax. It's used to wax thread, even ready waxed; lubricating awls & chisels; some methods of edge burnishing

Edited by zuludog

Tandy is OK once you get into leatherwork and become more discriminating in terms of what to order from whom. When I started buying my tools, I bought from Tandy exclusively. I ended up with some decent tools (such as the diamond chisels you listed, the metal gauge cutter, among others) and others that are absolute crap (their economy oblong punch). I still buy from them, mostly Fiebing's products and hardware (rivets); and the last purchase (a week ago) included a strap end punch that turned out to be Japanese made (two thumbs up). I've expanded to other suppliers such as RML, Buckleguy (though I was VERY disappointed that their belt buckles ended up being Chinese), Longview Leather, and Lonsdale Leather. Again, now I go after a particular tool/tool maker, rather than after a vendor; of course, this sometimes increases the amount you end up paying on shipping, but well, man can't have everything.

I'm no fan of most Tandy stuff but for the items you have, I think you can use. Sharpen and polish up the awl and get to making stuff. When your skill builds beyond the level of tools you have, upgrade.

Tandy has it's place and since you've already spent the $, maybe its worth your time to hold onto it. Their tools are usually a better value and of higher quality than their leather. Their leather has its place too but its usually cheaper to get a different leather online (even with shipping) than Tandy unless they are having a sale.

Let us know what you end up doing and post up some pics of the stuff you make! Good luck and have fun :) 

First and for most I want thank you all! I appreciate all the advice, Zulu dog thanks again for the break down on those items and I have already taken your advice on the polishing. My first project is going to be blade covers and I hope to move onto belts with an interest in bags once I have become proficient with needle and thread. I'm planning to only exchange the Fine Diamond chisel to the ones mentioned above, as for the other Items I will keep them.

I apologize for not mentioning that I had purchased wing dividers and some Veg. tan Leather (shoulder & Belle). I already had a few utility knives and hammers plus a cutting mat. Also many of the YT video's I watch recommended Al Stohlman books on Hand Sewing Leather and LeatherCraft Tools would be helpful in getting me started, so I purchased both of them.

My next project will be a belt so I'm looking to purchase Punches, rivets with setter and strap cutter (wood). I understand there are two kinds, the one built here in the states is the better of the two.

Again it's a pleasure to be a part of this community and thank you all for your guidance. I look forward to sharing my progress with you all.

For belts, skip the Tandy economy punches. I have their Crafttool hole punches and they are OK, but for the oblong punch I'd go with the Master Tools from Weaver or the C. S. Osborne one. Same for the copper river setter: I already have Weaver's in my wish list.

One thing you will find useful is that Tandy have opened up their vast library of books and patterns etc in their leathercraft section for free though you do have to sign in go to https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/ especially look in the ebooks section a mind of information

Once again thank you, I will post my progress and hopefully receive some constructive criticism.