Sign in to follow this  
Regg

replace the fenders on a saddle

Ok, first off I know nothing about saddles. I do small leather craft items and some holsters. I have been contacted by a person to replace the fenders on his wifes saddle. The patterns she wants on them is straight forward. However I do have a few questions:

1-Are there any rules for the construction of the fenders?

2-Do they need to be lined or covered?

3-What weight leather to use?

4-What is the best finish to use?

any other advice you experts want to share will be greatly appreciated.

Regg :begging:

Good Morning Regg!

I help my friend, Carlos Lopez in his saddle shop "Rancho No Tengo" in Kingsland, GA. My practice is to duplicate the fenders that I'm replacing as closely as possible. We generally use 13 - 15 oz. skirting leather on our saddles. If the fenders are carved, I carve the replacements using the tooling pattern and any tools we have in the shop that approximate the original tooling.

As for finish, most saddles that are old enough to need the fenders replaced will be original oil dyed and finished. I combine different color oil finishes to duplicate the current color of the old fenders. I say current color because most saddles that we get for repair haven't had the most religious care as far as cleaning and yearly oiling and they're a good bit darker than when they left the maker's shop. My goal is to send the saddle out of the shop with fenders that don't attract immediate attention. If somebody says, "Wow, new fenders," then I haven't been that successful.

One thing I would urge you to do is give yourself a break when you critique your work. I'd guess that your client will be happier with the job you do than you will. I'm continually amazed at how happy folks are with the repairs that we do. One of the reasons that I've never posted any photos of my saddles is that I still haven't done one that I'm satisfied with. You just do the best job you can, and I'll bet it will turn out fine. Good luck.

Mike

To answer your questions:

1. yes, there are rules. Since you are merely duplicating originals, you needn't worry about the size, etc. But make sure they are securely attached to the stirrup leathers and are made from good firm leather. There are several different methods of fender and leather construction, some better than others. The strongest method is the full stirrup leather riveted to the fender at the top and at the buckle end. It's also the most bulky and heavy, so some makers vary the design to lighten the load and reduce bulk. Either way, use the best leather of the side of skirting, if you are also replacing and cutting your own stirrup leathers. Take them off the top of the side with the the holes end of the leathers pointing at the butt of the hide. Fenders should likewise be taken off the firm part of the side, preferably lengthwise, particularly if the method of construction is anything other than full leathers, i.e., fenders spliced into the leathers as is commonly done on trail saddles.

2. Don't need to line or cover them if the originals were not.

3. The weight of the fenders is generally 13-15 oz. on working saddles, but can be less depending on the use. Light weight leather looks flimsy after a while but considering the actual purpose of the part, to keep the sweat off your pants, (hence the original name, "sweat leathers"), light weight leather would suffice for a lightly used saddle where weight is an issue.

4. Finish should match the original fenders, if possible, but as Mike suggested, the color ain't easy with an older saddle. The problem is, of course, the leather changes with time and exposure to light. If you match the old leather now, it will darken up with time and not match the old leather unless we're talking about a really dark old saddle. Best policy is to explain this to your customer up front and then allow some break-in time for the new leather to match the old. First determine if the original leather was natural or dyed. If natural, you could use an oil darkening product that you add to the neatsfoot oil. The dyed leather will need to be replicated or, if a drum dyed leather, try to buy some of the same leather or try to match dye it. Good luck with that.

One further note, when replacing the fenders, also make sure the stirrup leathers are in good condition. Also, check the condition of the latigo tie straps, billets and rigging attachments. If the fenders need replacing, chances are the rest of the parts will too. It's a safety issue.

Thanks for the wonderful advice, I will keep you informed as to my progress, I am looking forward to the challane. I am sureI will have more questions as I move forward.

Regg