Hi. 
Could anyone tell me what the best size wing divider I should get. Also any suggestions on what brand to get. I am UK based. 

Strictly speaking there is a difference between a wing divider which clamps down on a flat curved arm to adjust the width, and a screw divider which uses a screw thread acting against a spring; but in practice there's not much difference between them and they'll both do the same job

Fettle the tips with a fine file and abrasive paper. You want them very slightly rounded so they will make a mark or depression on the leather   but not so sharp that you cut the surface

I got mine from the secondhand tool stall at my local market for £2-50, they're 15cm/6" long. They're marked 'Cooper' but I would think that any of the usual makes like Rabone, Eclipse, Chesterman would be OK

Osborne have their model 106, but it's expensive. Otherwise Surf the Net. Axminster Tools have some at a reasonable price

Hi Geoff

Thank you again for your info and advice. I will take a look at the brands you have mentioned. 

Jim

1 hour ago, Jimbojay said:

Hi Geoff

Thank you again for your info and advice. I will take a look at the brands you have mentioned. 

Jim

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make things clear. Rabone Chesterman ceased trading years ago, and so you would only find them secondhand. I think Moore & Wright are still going though, and there's also Faithful and Draper

Starrett, Osborne, and some of the top Japanese makes are available, but they are expensive, so try Searching Google for 'wing dividers for leathercraft', there are several cheaper makes, especially on Etsy, probably from China, Korea, and so on, but you don't need precision engineering to make a line on a piece of leather

It's a shame that the secondhand stall is closed thanks to The Pestilence

Edit - I've just Searched Amazon UK for 'wing dividers leather' and there are several models available at reasonable prices

Edited by zuludog

I had a thought - I do that sometimes -  and Searched YouTube for 'wing dividers' and 'wing dividers for leather work'.

There are several videos, for leather work and other uses, but I haven't watched every one