Deluxking

Custom Sword Sling (Berserk)

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased the Dragonslayer from Berserk and it's a fairly massive sword that weighs 35 lbs. As such, I don't think that resting it on my shoulder all day would be feasible. The attached image is the canonical sling used by the protagonist to carry the sword when not in use. I was wondering if anyone thinks that this would be possible to make and if so, give me a quote for price and time to complete. Thank you all so much!

P.S. Here is the physical description of the sword:

"It is approximately 83" from the tip of the blade to the end of the handle and weighs approximately 32 lbs. The blade is 10" wide at the hilt, 8' at the tip and 1.75" thick with a battle worn roughness to it.
The handle, which is welded securely into the blade and re-enforced with a steel insert, is wrapped in a white cloth or genuine leather spiral. The handle diameter is 1-1/8"."

Screenshot_20210930-141457_Chrome.jpg

Guest Matt Brown

Well I'm going to give you response, though others may disagree. If I'm not mistaking, that's the character "Guts" sword rig. I could be wrong though as I've only seen like one Beserk anime several years back and on Netflix. The simple answer is that yes, a harness/sheath rig could be built to fit something that big and heavy. How precise that it would be to canon might be very arguable, because crafting leather to sheath that much weight is relatively easy. Carrying it around for hours on end, now that's an entirely different story.

You're looking at shlumping 30+ pounds of weight all day? Well add a couple more pounds of leather. Most backpackers try to keep their pack weights below 25 pounds and that is for an ultralight backpacker rig. I'm afraid the reason some learherworkers may not be responding is because making a rig to fit that big effing knife of Guts would be time consuming, a pain in the butt to try to come up with a way to make it work right, but never actually being able to satisfy the form with the function. This tends to leave the customer unhappy, the crafter left holding what pittance of money he recovered for the fee of doing it, and the possible hit to the leatherman's reputation. Custom work like what you are needing will always be best for something like this if you can find a local artist who has the talent. Go to the closest Tandy you have and hang out. If you want that rig bad enough, you'll find somebody.

Thanks for the pointers! I'm in the business of carrying around that much weight all day, so that's not a big concern for me, but I do understand the other issue of it being time consuming. I would do my best to work with someone on price, and I'm not too picky on it being close to canon, I just figure lugging it around in a sheath for a few hours would be better than it having to carry it otherwise.