Mungo

Applying Finish?

I'm working on a western holster and need to know if the Eco-Flo finish is supposed to be applied to the interior (flesh side) of the holster. BTW, I offer my thanks in advance since I post on a slow, dial-up laptop, but read the answers on my faster smartphone.

Finishing the interior of a holster is kinda like pickles on a cheeseburger, . . . some do, . . . some don't. It's all personal choice of the maker (or end user).

I personally only use pro oil stains, . . . and generally finish with Resolene, . . . but there are at least a dozen other ways. Unless a customer is adamant about not doing anything to the inside, . . . the whole thing gets the same treatment, . . . inside and out.

My resolene finish protects the leather from the oils and stuff that accumulate on guns, . . . along with the unburned powder, residue, carbon, etc. All that junk if it gets into a holster which has soaked up some oil, . . . will become just like rubbing compound, . . . and WILL mess up the finish on a fine gun.

OTOH, . . . most folks today are buying the plastic fantastics, . . . no stainless or blued steel, . . . so the finish is a moot point.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I usually treat the flesh side with an edging agent like Fieblings Edge Kote. I'm not sure how grease-resistant it might be (which could be relevant for a holster) but it seems to stand up to wear and tear a lot better than most stains or finishes.