onsh

Some Sort Of Edge Finish For Horween Shell Cordovan?

Hello all,

I've managed to get my hands on some beautiful and not-cheap Horween shell cordovan. I'm trying to find some method to finish the edges; burnishing doesn't seem to work (at least, not the way I'm trying it--a little gum trag and tandy's circle edge slicker (http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/Tools/Mallets-Handtools/8122-00.aspx), and I've tried Fiebing's Dura Edge, and while it looks *decent* at first, it doesn't seem to stand up to much wear, and comes off in high stress/continuous bending areas, leading to a sloppy and cheap look.

Am I doing something wrong with the burnishing, or will non-veg-tanned leather simply not burnish? I've got that edge slicker in an old b&d drill; maybe it needs some higher rpm's to build up the friction? Perhaps a wood burnisher made from some type of hardwood would work better?

This is BEAUTIFUL leather, and I'd really like to find an edge treatment that will last and wear as well as the leather itself will. Thanks for any input you may have!

Most times, shell cordovan is used to make shoes. In shoes of that quality, you seldom if ever leave an exposed edge. The edges are sewn to the insole where the outsole will hide them completely, or they are skived and lap sewn where again the edge will be sewn and practically invisible.

I don't know what you are making, but could I suggest skiving the edge, then rolling it over the liner as in shoes, where your foot enters the shoe. This would also be a good method for a wallet or folio or album etc.

Art

Hello all,

I've managed to get my hands on some beautiful and not-cheap Horween shell cordovan. I'm trying to find some method to finish the edges; burnishing doesn't seem to work (at least, not the way I'm trying it--a little gum trag and tandy's circle edge slicker (http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/Tools/Mallets-Handtools/8122-00.aspx), and I've tried Fiebing's Dura Edge, and while it looks *decent* at first, it doesn't seem to stand up to much wear, and comes off in high stress/continuous bending areas, leading to a sloppy and cheap look.

Am I doing something wrong with the burnishing, or will non-veg-tanned leather simply not burnish? I've got that edge slicker in an old b&d drill; maybe it needs some higher rpm's to build up the friction? Perhaps a wood burnisher made from some type of hardwood would work better?

This is BEAUTIFUL leather, and I'd really like to find an edge treatment that will last and wear as well as the leather itself will. Thanks for any input you may have!

Most times, shell cordovan is used to make shoes. In shoes of that quality, you seldom if ever leave an exposed edge. The edges are sewn to the insole where the outsole will hide them completely, or they are skived and lap sewn where again the edge will be sewn and practically invisible.

I don't know what you are making, but could I suggest skiving the edge, then rolling it over the liner as in shoes, where your foot enters the shoe. This would also be a good method for a wallet or folio or album etc.

Art

Art; thanks for the input. Should have mentioned that this is a watch strap, so having that thickness of leather just wouldn't work to fit through the lug-casing dimension.

The shell is very tight grain so it takes a little more work. I don't think you are going to get much finish with a hand burnisher on this leather..

Please access Bob Park/hidepounder in the archives for Burnishing edges. It is the most comprehensive information anyone can get.

ferg

Art; thanks for the input. Should have mentioned that this is a watch strap, so having that thickness of leather just wouldn't work to fit through the lug-casing dimension.