jinrui73

Tool Quality

Hi everybody! I'm buying some stamps and such this payday and need clarification on which is better, Tandy or Hide Crafters. I noticed the part numbers are the same, is that just a standard for the industy or are they from the same manufacturer? I've been reading that Hide Crafters stamps are performing better than Tandys so I'm leaning that way. I can't wait to be able to shell out $50 for 1 Barry King stamp, but Dominos Pizza doesn't see that happening anytime soon, LOL! Also, is that $45 BK swivel knife a big improvement over Tandys adjustible? Any help in clarifying this for me is really appreciated. Thanks!

-jerry

The majority of my tools are from Hidecrafter and I prefer them over my Craftools hands down. Now, the Hidecrafters tools are considered entry level but I think you'll like the results better. Also, if you cannot afford the BK swivel knife then at least get a BK blade.

Damon

I am probably prejudiced, but I am a big fan of Barry King tools. I understand what you are saying, as I am slowly converting over to Barry King as I can. I wish I had started sooner. I have not used his swivel knife, but have not heard anything but good things. If nothing else, get one of his knife blades as I believe it cam be used in a Craft tool barrel. The big difference is in the steel quality and the ability to hold an edge. I am personaly using a Leather Wrangler SK swivel knife, and it is on a league way above the Tandy product. It looks like a lot of the tools Hidecrafters is selling are Crafttools, but don't know for sure. I just know that as you progess in your ability, you will want the better quality tools at some point. When you are first starting, it probably doesn't matter. Tandy tools have gotten more people involved in tooling leather than anyother, and a lot of beautiful work has been done using them.

Terry

Thanks alot guys! I am pretty sure I will be able to get a BK knife and extra blade this payday (I just sold 4 belts so it's paying for itself). As far as the other tools I do plan to add the high end tools as money permits but for now it's gotta be entry level prices. And please don't think I am badmouthing Tandy, without them I wouldn't be as happy as I am now doing something I love!! Or maybe I should be badmouthing them for getting me started on this addiction! LOL! And the people I'm doing work for seem to be very pleased with the results so far, but I really want to step up the quality if I can. Thank you so much again for your input it has helped alot!!

-jerry