Sign in to follow this  
Hilly

Stohlman Round Knife $29.99 at Tandy

I was just going through Tandy's 50% off sale flyer, and noticed that the Stohlman round knife is on sale for only $29.99. That's a fantastic price! Guess who's gonna be getting another round knife to grind on? :)

That's an excellent price. How has your sharpening progressed? Any luck?

Marlon

I got one the other day. It is pretty nice but does need some tweaking. The brass pin holding the blade and handle needs some filing as it is not flush and is a little jagged and of course I will need to learn how to sharpen it real good. Kinda wicked scary to wield, as I have not used one before it brings to mind lots of blood and pain if not used right.

That's an excellent price. How has your sharpening progressed? Any luck?

Marlon

Hi Marlon. It seems to be getting a little better each time I've done it. I can now get it sharp, but not wicked sharp yet. Now since I've ordered another head knife I'll be able to have twice as much fun. :) Maybe the next time will be best yet?

I bought a book someone suggested called "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening" by John Juranitch. It seems to have helped me in my sharpening chores. I have since quit using lubricant on my stone, and it seems to work much better without it. Just have to brush the stone off often to keep all the tiny metal flecks from building up and nicking the new edge. I have been able to sharpen my skiving knife pretty good. I now only sharpen for a right handed blade (since I'm right handed), and I've gotten it on the brink of being wicked sharp.

I suppose practice makes perfect? Well, I have a lot of practicing to do, then!

I got one the other day. It is pretty nice but does need some tweaking. The brass pin holding the blade and handle needs some filing as it is not flush and is a little jagged and of course I will need to learn how to sharpen it real good. Kinda wicked scary to wield, as I have not used one before it brings to mind lots of blood and pain if not used right.

No worries, Jordan, you're gonna love it. Once you get used to using it, you will never go back to your old method of cutting. Just always remember that a dull knife can slip easier than a sharp one, and always, ALWAYS keep the hand you are not cutting with BEHIND the knife. That way if your knife does slip, your hands are both behind the direction the blade is cutting.

I just picked one up the other day and wondered why I had taken so long to get a round knife. I'm glad I did get it at this price though. Much better than using a utility knife.

Butch

I just picked up the same knife. Wondering how much I will need to work on it before it is usable. Any suggestions on products I need to keep this knife sharp? Anyone have a link to instructions for proper sharpening?

Thanks,

Brent

I believe there is a howto on the main page written by Marlon.