Sign in to follow this  
Hilly

Slotted Concho questions

I am in the process of making a album cover as a Christmas gift. The front is carved in the Sheridan style, and the back is all finger carved. In the center of the back, as a decoration, I would like to use a slotted concho with some thin, soft, "saddle strings". My questions are these: How are slotted conchos attached? What sizes can you get them in? I would like to find a big one - maybe as large as 2 1/2". Any suggestions as to where I might find something like this? I don't want a cheapie like Tandy sells, but I don't want to pay through the nose, either. A nice sterling or sterling plated engraved version would be really nice... But maybe I'm just dreaming...

I would do a search for the size on the net. Here's one link that has 2 " and I think 2 and a half inch:

http://www.buffalobrothers.net/conchos/conchos_17.htm

kim

I am in the process of making a album cover as a Christmas gift. The front is carved in the Sheridan style, and the back is all finger carved. In the center of the back, as a decoration, I would like to use a slotted concho with some thin, soft, "saddle strings". My questions are these: How are slotted conchos attached? What sizes can you get them in? I would like to find a big one - maybe as large as 2 1/2". Any suggestions as to where I might find something like this? I don't want a cheapie like Tandy sells, but I don't want to pay through the nose, either. A nice sterling or sterling plated engraved version would be really nice... But maybe I'm just dreaming...

Just thought, you might can use a watch fob (modified some of course) on that link also.

kim

Try Diablo Silver smiths. I think they still have a web site. You will want to ask for silver overlay. It is a thin layer of silver over nickle. The nickle gives it alot of strength and their is enough silver to engrave. They are out of Grass Valley Cal. I know the owner of Buffalo Brothers, we used to do some work together and I supplied him holsters and belts to sell. His conchos are cast out of a lead free pewter, they are very nice and prices are very fair. They will wear faster than a silver overlay concho. It will take years for overlay to wear through. I hope this helps you out.

Diablo Silver 1-800-551-2233

Edited by cgleather