I apologize if this topic has been addressed before but I am a jewlery designer and have recently started making my own leather cuff and wrap bracelets. I have been experimenting, with no luck, writing quotes on wrap bracelets but I can't seem to find an ink or paint that will not smear after drying. I haven't had great luck finding information on the web either about what to use. I don't know if I should be applying a finish to the bracelet afterwards or what. If anyone has any ideas, I would be ever so grateful...

Thank you

Linda

Soquili Designs.

I have only dabbled in this a little bit but I have found that sharpies will work and most will not smear depending on the finish that is applied. The sharpie paint markers seem to work well but they tend to run out very quickly and dealing with the retractable tip thing is a pain.

I have also tried some pens used for scrapbooking. I don't remember who makes them but they also work pretty well if you find the right finish to cover them or spray a finish over them.

With every color I do regardless of brand I find that I have to test it out first. For example, black sharpie and resolene seemed to work fine but resolene over silver sharpie (the pen not the pain marker) smeared, while over the silver sharpie paint pen it did not smear at all.

I second sharpies. I actually have started using them for all sorts of applications with great success. Best thing to do is test on scrap leather first of course.

i have had good luck with copic markers.

OH, and another thing that I totally forgot to mention. In the military (17 years National guard) we use these alchohal markers to write on map overlays and such. They come in permenant and non permenant. They come in a variety of tip sizes as well.

I have used both the permenant and non permenant with success and very little wiping off or smearing when a finish coat is applied. Here is a link of an example of the markers:

http://www.amazon.com/Markers-NP-Pk-Super-Fine/dp/B007Z7KU60/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1363709682&sr=8-20&keywords=staedtler+marker

Those happen to be the non permenant ones but they come in various size packages and types.

ALWAYS test it on scrap first. I also let any marker or ink or pen dry for almost 24 hours prior to applying any finish or top coat. May be overkill on my part but it has worked so far so I don't mess with it.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have several types of sharpies that I will try again but this time see if the resolene helps. I'm wondering if some of the problem has been the leather I used. I had some Latigo strips I was going to use on my saddle and they have a slick surface on one side. I'm wondering if that is preventing the pens from penetrating the leather and getting a good hold. I'm also going to look into the copic markers, as I have never heard of them.

I will post again and let everyone know how it turns out!

I shot cowboy action for a couple years but never mounted. Mounted shooting always looked really cool but not having a horse and there not being many mounted shooting clubs up this way I just never tried it.

That makes a huge difference. :-)

We have it down here and although I've never participated, it's fun to watch. My boyfriend would love to try it but our horses haven't been trained.

India ink if you're looking for black. You can get it in pens at most art and craft stores. India ink is just pigment (traditionally lampblack) and a binder like shellac, so you could probably whip up a batches of different colors though you may have to experiment with different pigments and concentrations.

Probably should have mentioned that the India ink worked fine for me on bare veg tan. I've never tried it on latigo.