Sign in to follow this  
pete

Bick's/British tan mix

OK- I KNOW that you all think that I am a secret sales rep for this stuff but "I gotta tell ya" that I was just upstairs making a new pair of spur straps for myself and discovered something new again.

Did you see the post by Mr. Moody( I believe) about how he finishes projects and how he and his father would cover the piece with carnuba overnight so as to keep the antique from getting gummy and making it hard to remove? Then he would apply the antique, buff etc.

Well-

I was impatient as usual and after tooling and oiling the straps( and letting it sit overnight) I used my Bick's/British tan mix, rubbed it in and immediately( without a blocker of my usual RTC) put the med. brown antique on with my fingers. The antique worked like always filling each cut. A few seconds later I took a paper towel and rubbed it off. It came off like a cream,( yes cream,.. not dream) stayed in the depressions. No scrubbing, streaks, nothing!

About 2 days faster than how I had been doing it and a cleaner result. I'll let it dry overnight, buff lightly and then put the RTC on as a final protectant.

I really appreciate this forum and the information that I glean from it. I hope that this works for you out there where time is valuable and a perfect finish is important.

petejava script:emoticon(':whatdoyouthink:',%20'smid_82')