steve mason

Jay lynn Gore tools

howdy;

I am trying to get ahold of Jay Lynn Gore. Would any of you have his contact info, and is he still making stamping tools?

thanks much

Steve

Hi Steve

Contact Troy West, He and Jay are good friends.

Blake

howdy;

I am trying to get ahold of Jay Lynn Gore. Would any of you have his contact info, and is he still making stamping tools?

thanks much

Steve

Try here : http://www.zabasearch.com/

/ Knut

Jay Lynn Gore

1327 C.R.2232

Caddo Mills, Tx. 75135

(903) 883-3626

Still makin' tools

I am not familiar with Jay Gore tools, can anyone tell me anything about them? - Thanks Deb

Thanks, I'll give him a call

Steve

You're welcome Steve.

Deb59,

Jay Lynn Gore was the head tooler for Billy Cook for 30 odd years. As a result he really knew what a good stamping tool was, often designing and fabricating his own out of nails or bolts or whatever he could come up with. He is really a very creative guy. I used to call him McGyver cause he could make something out of nothing and could blow up a city block with nothing but a sweet gum ball. When he left Billy Cook Saddles he tooled saddles for me for a number of years. He started making stamping tools in his spare time. His brother in law, Mitch Botts, encouraged Jay to take his tools to the trade shows, so they did. Mitch was really the push in the marketing area and Jay was the brains behind the tools. They went to the trade shows for quite a few years until Mitch was diagnosed with cancer and passed away. Jay hasn't been back to a show but continues to make tools, getting orders from the many people who had purchased from him earlier. He also lives near Greenville, Tx. where all the saddle companies are and they still order from him.

Jay still does a lot of tooling for a saddle outfit near Houston and still makes tools. They used to have a catalog and you may be able to get one still. I'm really not sure about that. You'd just have to give him a call. His tools are great and he knows how to make them well because he knows how to use them well.

He's a great guy too.

Troy West

Jay was also heavily involved in bench rest shooting at one time as well. At least in Texas he was pretty well respected in that arena as well.

Regards,

Ben

Thanks for the information. I did give Jay a call and he is sending a catalog. He sounded a lot on the phone like a good friend of ours, very friendly and just an all around good guy. I am anxious to get his catalog. I am looking to upgrade my tools and I really appreciate the information from someone who has used them! Deb

Deb,

I'm glad to know you can still get a catalog. That will let others know they are still available.

Ben,

Jay was the state champ in his class a couple of years ago. He builds his own guns. Doesn't that sound like McGyver?

Troy

Cute story about Jay Lynn....

10 or 12 years ago I went to my first Leather Show in Pasadena. The buzz around the show was about a prank that Jay Lynn apparently played on Ellis Barnes. If you use any of Ellis' tools you know that the first and second knuckle on your left hand is going to be black and blue from being hit with your maul because the tools are so short. I guess Jay Lynn had teased Ellis about this in the past, and had made some tool extensions that he brought to this show. I had just walked up to the Hackbarth booth where, a few minutes before, Jay had apparently demonstrated the use of the extensions and announced their availability at his own booth. :rofl: I didn't know Jay Lynn or Ellis at that time, but I'll never forget the ribbing Ellis was getting. Now that I know Ellis, I would have really liked to have seen Jay's demonstration!

I still hold Ellis personally responsible for the the arthritis in the knuckles of my left forefinger! :lol:

BTW...Lonnie showed me the new Hackbarth tool blanks at the Wickenburg show...they are considerably longer than the old ones!!!

Troy...thanks for the catalog info...I didn't know he had one either!

Bob

Troy,

Yes he is like McGyver. I knew him through this venue because I was helping someone with his machining of a benchrest Tinker Toy. I also have a few of his tools as well.

Bob,

Also have some extensions as well.

Regards,

Ben