Sign in to follow this  
Penden

Special Forces Badges

I have an order for a guitar belt with these two badges on it.

www.1starmy.com/uploadimages/Product_4456_enl.jpg

http://www.specialoperations.com/Army/Special_Forces/SF_Info/sfpatch1.gif

And here they are!

http://picasaweb.google.com/mr.mulington.the.3rd/Leatherwork#5459435185148125298

http://picasaweb.google.com/mr.mulington.the.3rd/Leatherwork#5459447424244571586

I'm going to be dying the guitar strap black, then painting them. The customer is very happy with the in-progess pictures so I am excited to finish it up for him tomorrow

Getting better, are you still just using your bevelers and not a knife to cut around the edges? Looks pretty good for the process that your using.

One thing I wanna ask though are you doing the bevel edge with the tool mark on purpose or is that just how you have been doing it so far. I think if you try making sure that the tool is at 90degrees to your work that you can get rid of the edges that you are getting and smooth it out a bit.

Did a pretty good job on the painting though.

Thank you

I cut it this time. the swivel knife is my friend now

I think I mostly just need more practice hitting the tool with the same force each time. also there were some places where even though they are small bevelers they didn't really fit-- these badges are only two inches wide.

my practice painting > my practice beveling

Edited by Penden

Sorry I know you didnt post in the critique section but just trying to pass on stuff that I have learned from this site and everyone on it.

I think that the beveling your are doing is one of the first places to really improve. Im not sure which area is the culprit but it looks like many of the same things I did when I started.

One thing the leather looks like it is still a little to wet when your tooling it. This took me the longest to learn how to do even half way right. I always wanted to start to early. You want the leather to get back to almost its natural color as when you started but feel cool to the touch. If it isnt then the leather tends to squish around which makes it hard to get a nice smooth impression with the tool. I had the hardest time with this until I started experimenting with waiting, I would think its time to tool then leave it for a while longer and then try. Eventually I kind of got the hang of it. (still learning though lol). You will be amazed after you finally find the sweat spot so to speak. It makes life so much easier.

The second thing is as I mentioned about making sure it is lined up properly. If the tool is tilted to either side the edge will make a deeper edge when you smack it and cause some of what is going on. Then as your hitting it walk the tool, basically hit the impression then move it about a third to half of what you have just hit and do it again.

I know what you mean about to small an area to get into. Doing those small carvings when your starting out is a bear to say the least. Especially for us internet trained people who dont have instructors to whip us when we are screwing up (I mean point out what were doing wrong lol).

I think I remember you saying you read thru paul barnetts guides/pdfs that he has on the site. If you havnt definatly read thru those. Also if you have the extra cash definitely buy his full guide on his website. Its well worth the money.

I hope you dont feel I am pickin on ya, just trying to help a little (Im just not overly good at expressing myself online). Your doing good and turning out some good projects.

I think I am not letting it dry enough. I'm an impatient person and also can only do tooling when the baby is asleep. I ain't staying up forever after he goes to bed so I need to know how far ahead to wet the leather.

I do already walk the tool... imagine how much worse it would be otherwise :)

I think I am not letting it dry enough. I'm an impatient person and also can only do tooling when the baby is asleep. I ain't staying up forever after he goes to bed so I need to know how far ahead to wet the leather.

I do already walk the tool... imagine how much worse it would be otherwise :)

Yeah I have a similer problem (no baby though). Since my schedule is allways up in the air I tool when I get time which doesnt allow me to really case as well as I should. I know alot of the guys like to let it sit for 24 hrs under a piece of glass but that is totally out of the question for me personally (maybe when I get out of the military) so I try to figure out what I am going to tool ahead of time if I can. Ill wet the leather pretty good a couple of hours before I tool the project. I try and give it atleast an hour to three. Check up on it and when it starts looking natural again but is still cool to the touch this is a good spot to start or if you need to hold for a while slightly wet it some more and come back later when the little one is asleep.

One of my worst problems though is once I get the leather cut and I have the pattern to tool I get all ancy and want to start tooling right away. Get that little motivated streak and its hard to slow it down lol.

you can also put it in the refrigerator if your plans change. it helps keep mold from growing if you gotta keep it wet for a while