billw

IWB Holster Metal Insert Stiffener: Where to get

I need to get some metal insert stiffeners that are typically covered by leather for IWB Holsters (In The Waist Band) that typically perform the function of allowing the firearm to be re-holstered one handed in a safe and efficient manner.

The metal insert must retain it's shape under belt pressure when the firearm is removed from the holster, yet it must be malleable enough to shape for specific firearms.

Does anyone have a supply company or suggestions?

I have used bronze shim stock from McMaster-Carr,New Jersey(nj.sales@mcmaster.com)

Hi Bill,

I've seen/read several different ideas on the subject, and we had a discussion about it here not long ago. Pretty much, it's whatever you decide to use.

Do keep in mind that most of the metal reinforcements typically hold the mouth of the holster open in a generic "U" shape, and not specifically formed.

I haven't used stainless spring strips (what I was thinking would work well) but I have used Kydex. I bought a sq. ft. of it from a knife supplier and had it shipped for about $15. The nice thing about kydex is that if you mis-mold it.....just reheat and it straightens back out. Considering that you're looking at using max 3/4" x 6", a sq. ft. goes a long way. Another nice thing about it is no need to file the edges down.