equiss

Thread Size For Machine

I have another machine, a consew 206RB5? It says it takes a 17" needle, is it possible to get a needle for this machine that will take T207 thread?

My artisan is broke for now....it doesn't say in the consew book what other thread/needles I can use

thank you

Hi Charlene,

I think it means a #17 needle which is a 105 metric, normally 17/105 in the jargon. This is for 46 and 69 thread and not much bigger. For 207 thread you need 24/180 or 24.5/190. That size needle and thread combination is about "one toke over the line" for that machine, you can try it, but go slow on scrap as the machine will like it or it won't. I would run 135 is the bobbin and 207 on top as that hook really isn't made for 207. The big needles might be a tight clearance for the hook so try the 24 to start.

Art

I have another machine, a consew 206RB5? It says it takes a 17" needle, is it possible to get a needle for this machine that will take T207 thread?

My artisan is broke for now....it doesn't say in the consew book what other thread/needles I can use

thank you

Hi Charlene, besides what Art has told you, the needle size for sewing leather is 135X16, I think the 17 that you are seeing is 135X17, which is for upholstery. Like Art says, try a #23 or #24 for the 207 thread. You can't use a 207 in the bobbin though. Use the 138 in the bobbin. Thanks, Steve

Hi again,

Now having said that, I sometimes run a #19/120 with 138 thread top and bobbin. It works and gives me the closed up stitch I am looking for, but I do bend and or break needles, probably because the needles are a little bendy for the tensions I run, I should be running a 22/140, or a 23/160 with 138. I do this for a particular look, not all the time. So you can get by with more or less, and it really depends on the particular machine and it's setup.

Good Luck,

Art

Hi Charlene,

I think it means a #17 needle which is a 105 metric, normally 17/105 in the jargon. This is for 46 and 69 thread and not much bigger. For 207 thread you need 24/180 or 24.5/190. That size needle and thread combination is about "one toke over the line" for that machine, you can try it, but go slow on scrap as the machine will like it or it won't. I would run 135 is the bobbin and 207 on top as that hook really isn't made for 207. The big needles might be a tight clearance for the hook so try the 24 to start.

Art