nopension

Veg Tan Toxic

Hey! Hope everybody is OK today! My question for now, is veg tan leather toxic to young'ins?

I'IL thank you now. Fred

Do not let pets (birds, cats and dogs) chew on veg tanned leather, and same with children. Besides the chemicals in the leather, there is a choking risk, and the leather itself is hard to digest if they should swallow it. It is probably not going to hurt the 3 year old who put a piece in her mouth for a moment when we weren't looking, but why take the chance? I have a dog that loves to chew on leather, and then his body rejects it from both ends. Not worth cleaning up. Maybe some of the vets can chime in with more specifics.

Johanna

PS some veggie tanned leather makes me break out in hives if I touch it. I would hate to see a toddler with a full blown allergic reaction.

This is a "hot topic" it seems, that I know we've discussed before. There are those, like Johanna, that have had negative experiences with it - and that I don't doubt whatsoever. Then there are those like my best friend (and former Tandy manager) who let his daughter teeth on pieces of it, and she is a happy and healthy almost 10 yr old now.

Still, it IS treated with chemicals, so I don't think it's an appropriate chew toy for either pets or kids.

Hey! Thank you for Answering . My Wife and I are blessed with a great granddaughter and we get to watch her 2 days a week,

she is 10 mo. and started walking and she is every where, in every thing!! I found her with a name tag I made Her in her mouth just

chew'in away, I guess I'il have to wait till she is a little older for her gifts. Thank you again, FRED

Not to change the subject, but someone should start a "making your shop a safer place for pets, kids and grownups" thread. How many of us have sharp edges exposed (I have exacto knives upside down in a jar- how dumb is that?) or chemicals that a pet or kid can get into? I have one dog I have to keep out of the scrap bin, or suffer the consequences. What things in our shops could we do differently to reduce the risks of accidents or problems when we host visitors?

I remember chasing toddlers...hoo, boy. I get a little break now that there is only one grandchild so far- glad you have a great grandkid to play with. Glad your g grandkid has great grandparents to play with. :)

Johanna

Not to change the subject, but someone should start a "making your shop a safer place for pets, kids and grownups" thread. How many of us have sharp edges exposed (I have exacto knives upside down in a jar- how dumb is that?) or chemicals that a pet or kid can get into? I have one dog I have to keep out of the scrap bin, or suffer the consequences. What things in our shops could we do differently to reduce the risks of accidents or problems when we host visitors? I remember chasing toddlers...hoo, boy. I get a little break now that there is only one grandchild so far- glad you have a great grandkid to play with. Glad your g grandkid has great grandparents to play with. smile.gif Johanna
If you have ever had a 3yr Ggrand child run across the room with a head knife in his hand, it will change your life style.. you tha man (woman) girl, start it we will all chime in.....Doc... Edited by terrahyd

I soaked a piece of non dyed veg tan leather for awhile rinsed it off and gave it to my son to teeth on after he would only chew on my belt blanks.

Didn't hurt him at all, and he really enjoys it, my mother did the same thing for my sister when she was that age.

It was a rather large piece that I had clipped all the corners off of though.

Granted it is probably not the best idea in the world, but better than some.

As far as making my shop safer:

Currently I am in a small 1 room apartment. So the baby's room, the living room, my work station, and due to the cold my bedroom are all the same room. So I have taken/am taking several precautions to help with this.

1) All my sharp tools are wrapped up in a tool roll that you can find for wrenches and thrown in a box with a lock on it.

2) My dyes and other chemicals are in a 40mm grenade ammo can that even I can barely open without 3 hands

3) My newly acquired embossing machine has the wheels off of it, and the crank tied down so he it will be hard for him to hurt himself with that.

I remember when I almost sliced my finger tip off with a headknife. My son was about 2 (maybe a little older) at the time and was watching TV in the same room. Blood was gushing everywhere and I needed him out of the way quickly with no questions. All I could think of was to yell at him "Ethan, upstairs, NOW!" He probably thought I was mad at him, but I couldn't leave him in the room with the knife laying there while I tried to stop the bleeding.

It worked. He went upstairs with me right behind him, and I was able to "leave the scene" for cleanup after going to the doctor.