Sign in to follow this  
SNHLeather

How Do I Dye Large Pieces Of Leather?

Hello All,

I'm a first time reader and poster. I've just started into leather work full time to make a few extra dollars to help pay for my masters degree in architecture. I was wondering if anyone has any advise for dying large pieces of leather? I have requests for large briefcases and messenger bags, but am having trouble getting a consistent streak-free color on the larger pieces of the bags. Any advice on this topic is much appreciated, i.e. what types of dyes, finishes, application techniques, etc...

Thanks,

SNH

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002686069546

Hello All,

I'm a first time reader and poster. I've just started into leather work full time to make a few extra dollars to help pay for my masters degree in architecture. I was wondering if anyone has any advise for dying large pieces of leather? I have requests for large briefcases and messenger bags, but am having trouble getting a consistent streak-free color on the larger pieces of the bags. Any advice on this topic is much appreciated, i.e. what types of dyes, finishes, application techniques, etc...

Thanks,

SNH

http://www.facebook....100002686069546

I use febings dye and air brush,buddy saddle

I would go to the Goodwill and get a large, flat pan, like a industrial cookie tray. Poor in your dye and dip in the leather. Take it out, pat dry with a towell and lay it flat to dry.

Aaron

There are really only two ways to dye leather: 1. Surface dye with an air brush, wool piece, paint brush, etc.; 2. Saturation dye done by dipping the leather into and under the dye. Which one you use is determined by (in my opinion) on the end use of the product being made. If the product is going to get a lot of use and possible scratched, scrapped, etc. then a saturation process is recommend. That way when the surface of the leather is penetrated by a scratch it will still remain the color of the surface. Things like work chaps, sheaths, work holsters are examples of where is use a saturation dye process. If the item is only going to see light usage then surface dye is fine. Also if you are doing multiple colors, then a surface dye process is best. When I do a surface dye I use high quality artist brushes for oil paints. I do not use an air brush because my hands are not steady enough, I need the feel of the brush touching the surface.

Since you are doing a brief case and messenger bag I would do the saturation dye process since these items tend to get heavy usage and banged around a lot.

just my opinion.

BillN