HEAVY LEATHER

Military Insignia Stamps

Just bought these and was curious if anyone knows anything about them. They maybe look homemade? I have no idea what they are or were made for, but I couldn't pass em up for the price.

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

Hey Heavy Leather,

Great find. I have been looking for those type stamps for a long time and missed those.

I enjoy stamping military items and not much around, that I can find.

Hope you enjoy them.

God Bless.

Ray

Those look really cool. If they are not being made anymore, I may make up a stock set of them in Delrin for myself!

Stitch~

Those look really cool. If they are not being made anymore, I may make up a stock set of them in Delrin for myself!

Stitch~

Joyce

If you do, I'll buy a set, I have a really good "old" Marine Corps Eagle Globe and Anchor and I have the remaining service emblems but they are newer and look like "Do-Do".

Chief

Semper Fi Chief!

Should you ever part with a few of these stamps, specialy the cavalry one, let me know, please

Are you sure they're stamps?

I get the impression they may have been set up for printing or gold tooling - brass isn't the best material for taking a hit, but it does conduct heat well.

I'd suspect they may have been intended for putting different "branch"(?) logos on stuff like notebooks - could be either blind impressions(just stamped using heat and pressure) or foiled(as above, but with gold/silver material in the impressions).

Be interesting to see what the back of the stamps is like - if it's flat, I'd suspect that they are more correctly "plates".....

Try not to hit them - better to place them and use some sort of press to avoid damage.

Nice find!

Cheers!

[Duh - just looked at the ebay link again - they're flat backed and the description says "printing plates"]

Edited by penguineer

BTW - at that price for brass plates, you got a bargain.......

Cheers!