Studio-N

Bear Stamp

Hello. This bear stamp came out quite nice so I wanted to share it.

They are a challenge sometimes because when dealing with the laser there is only one color - black (and a lack of color which is not the same as white). this started off as a 3 color picture, so I played around with the artwork for a half hour before I got the right combination.

I think he is pleased with it. I know I was.

-Nick

post-2828-0-79365100-1395329234_thumb.jp

WOW. ..really nice work

Did you laser engrave that into a metal blank for a stamp?

I too would be interested in exactly how u created this stamp, does your process allow something more 3-D?

Hello. Wasn't on metal it is on a 1/2" thick delrin plate/

Unfortunately, for 3D it requires some better software than Corel Draw. ASPIRE is one of the best s/w but at $2000 I'll have to pass for now.

Maybe when I get my CNC machine. I have managed to get what I'll call a 2.5D by doing a gradiated fill but it doesn't work as well in small spaces

like a 1 1/2" stamp. Cheers!

I've carved glass in 3 dimensions. The depth of glass up to 1/2" thick. I've just started with leather, but it seams that the depth differential would be very small. I imagine that at most you could have 3 -4 depths. I do not think one would need fancy software to achive this. Think about what you want at what layer and make your laser pattern to those depths for cutting.

I've carved glass in 3 dimensions. The depth of glass up to 1/2" thick. I've just started with leather, but it seams that the depth differential would be very small. I imagine that at most you could have 3 -4 depths. I do not think one would need fancy software to achive this. Think about what you want at what layer and make your laser pattern to those depths for cutting.

yes, you are technically correct. That's what the graduated grey scale does, but it is still pretty square looking. You have an unlimited amount of control with hand work that machines will never match.

Good thing too, the machines would rise i.e. Terminator!

Sweet stamp!

but it is still pretty square looking.

I was wondering what the surface looked like after you laser carve. With sand blasting it is as smooth as the media you blast with. In my case for glass I use pretty fine grit. When sand blasting the edges tend to round so it makes it pretty natural looking. I still think, 3 dimensionally speaking one is not going to get much effect in leather. maybe just rounding to another level. I guess I'll have to try one.

Studio N. See my attached picture. Can you run slightly different paths at different intensity to carve different layers? When I've sand blasted them, We've plotter cut some masks, peel the area we want.. blast.. peel again. blast again.. etc... carving from deepest to shallowest. If you can run multiple paths right next to each other you should be able to cut each path to a different depth.

post-50414-0-02424100-1395428332_thumb.j

Edited by Greg528it

Hello Greg, Please call me Nick.

Your last two pictures illustrate it best. The laser is a very square platform. I've done sand blasting and in your picture I think we both know that there is a certain amount of blasting that hits the previous layer. It does a great job of evening things out. The laser (depending on the art) never touches the previous layer. There is a middle ground and the key there is the amount of time it takes

to get the same results. Unfortunately, time is money. If it takes 3 hours to cut in 3d mode, it's difficult to ask for $130 versus $30 for a 2d stamp with the same figure only flatter. But I do enjoy a challenge. Thanks for the discussion. Cheers!