UKRay

How important is networking when it comes to selling leathergoods?

Anyone who does leatherwork for any length of time will almost certainly have to sell some of their work - if only to make room for more stuff in their workshop. I do this by talking to pretty nearly everyone I meet about what I do. By listening to what they have to say about leatherwork I can often pick up on something they would like made and in a short time I have a sale.

I find that I sell far more stuff to people I know and talk to regularly than casual buyers because they know I won't rip them off. They are happy to trust me with their order because they know I'll deliver on time and they know I won't hike my price at the last minute. - I think this is all about trust.

I've sat here for quite a while trying to work out precisely what it is that I say to folk to build that trust. Aside from general pleasantries and chat, I believe I get the best response by reflecting their own interests. In other words, if they are interested in history then I'm happy to talk historical leather with them. If they are interested in sport I'll gladly talk about any aspect they care to discuss but I try to put a leathery spin on the conversation: making leather footballs, sewing boxing gloves, making cases for firearms, that sort of thing...

I'm not sure if this is always the best idea and I'd like some suggestions for other lines of discussion. I'd also like some ideas about how to increase my circle of contacts - networking hints if you like!

How do you network with people?

Where do you network?

What do you say to get them interested in what you do?

How do you build trust?

Edited by UKRay

Anyone who does leatherwork for any length of time will almost certainly have to sell some of their work - if only to make room for more stuff in their workshop. I do this by talking to pretty nearly everyone I meet about what I do. By listening to what they have to say about leatherwork I can often pick up on something they would like made and in a short time I have a sale.

I find that I sell far more stuff to people I know and talk to regularly than casual buyers because they know I won't rip them off. They are happy to trust me with their order because they know I'll deliver on time and they know I won't hike my price at the last minute. - I think this is all about trust.

I've sat here for quite a while trying to work out precisely what it is that I say to folk to build that trust. Aside from general pleasantries and chat, I believe I get the best response by reflecting their own interests. In other words, if they are interested in history then I'm happy to talk historical leather with them. If they are interested in sport I'll gladly talk about any aspect they care to discuss but I try to put a leathery spin on the conversation: making leather footballs, sewing boxing gloves, making cases for firearms, that sort of thing...

I'm not sure if this is always the best idea and I'd like some suggestions for other lines of discussion. I'd also like some ideas about how to increase my circle of contacts - networking hints if you like!

Where do you network?

How do you build trust?

Talk to them, have your cards ready to give out, be enthusiastic about what you do without being overbearing. Listen to them and remember what they do. When an opportunity comes up to send someone their way who needs what they do then do it.

Where do you network?

Everywhere that you end up in conversation with people. You could be in the line at the grocery store and the person behind you could be the one who orders a $100 checkbook cover from you.

"I shape skin" :-) The way to look at it is not that you have to say something to get them interested. You just need to be interesting as a person. I like to talk about how fascinating it is for me to look at a piece of leather and imagine what I could do with it.

How do you build trust?

Do what you say you are going to do and do it better than expected.

I'm in absolute agreement with John.

Be interested in them as a person.

Don't be a "monologuer".

Try to ask as many questions as you answer.

Say what you're gonna do, and DO what you say.

I also get my product/website on different forums. It's easy to drop a link to your website without being overly mercenary. I made a connection for ten pairs of turnshoes that way.

I try to show off my helmets whenever the venue makes it possible...an admitted rarity. For instance, last weekend I participated in a ski race as a Viking skier in old time garb, with vintage wooden skis and a leather Viking helmet. A big contrast to the lycra clad greyhounds, but a helluva lot of fun for me. A possible contact...I met an Olympic hopeful for the 2010 winter Olympics who had her picture taken with me, and we traded emails.

So, that leads me to one of my major postulates of life. "Go ahead and just do it, because y'never know..."

Dag

I get the most business from the people who do business where I do business, does that sound confusing? I will explain. I go to the local restraunt every moring and have coffee with a bunch of guys that I have know for most of my life, I call them the rusty zipper club. I get more referals from that bunch than anything I do. They know someone who needs this or that and they give them my name, when they needs something I make it for them. Then there is the local feed store where I buy my feed, got my cards on the wall next to the coffee pot there. Get lots of business out of the feed store. Then there is the guys and gals around my full time job as a cop. I make all the duty belts, cuff cases, radio holders etc for my department as well as a couple others. Church, as well as 4-H meetings, Masonic meetings. The #1 thing that I can say is to wear and use what you make, when others see you using or wearing something you made, well, that is the very best advertisment you can have. If you have a wife or significant other, dress him or her in stuff that you make, belts, cell phone holder, purse, notebook etc, you get the picture. My wife went to a trail ride without me last Oct. and wore a pair of chaps I made her. I got 3 orders for chaps just off that trail ride and I wasn't even there. So you get the point.

I ran an add in the local newspaper one year just before Christmas and did not get one call. But carry around a nice portfolio you make and you will get all kinds of inquires..

Randy

Don't overlook networking with your competitors. I attend a few shows a year as a vendor and have become friends with several of my competitors. If I can't fill a customers order for what ever reason I will send them to a competitor. I suppose it might be risky and maybe sometimes I lose a customer to them for other things, but oftentimes my customer really appreciates my help. My biggest competitor is semi retiring and cutting back his business, He has sent me a ton of business over the last year. Chris