austinb

Does Anyone Make Cocobolo Burnishing Wheels For Bench Grinders? Help!

Hello all!

I am looking for a specific leather burnishing wheel. Ive got a Ryobi 6" bench grinder on which I removed the wheels down to just the 1/2" arbor. I am looking for a cocobolo wheel I could attach to one side, and a sanding wheel to the other. I don't have the tools or experience necessary to create my own, so I was wondering if anyone here could help me out.

The arbor is threaded at the end, so not sure if theres a way a wheel could be created that could be threaded on.

Is it also possible to order the replacement burnishing wheel/sanding wheel from Weaver thats used for their pro edge slicker? Would those fit a 1/2" arbor?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!post-45811-0-80103200-1413172566_thumb.jpost-45811-0-77242200-1413172571_thumb.j

There are a few issues. The grinder is turning at 3600 rpm, way to hast. If you are going to do this you need a 1750 rpm buffer. The wheel you are looking for to mount to the shaft needs to be small to keep the speed down too. A 6" wheel will travel at 18" per revolution, a 2" wheel will travel at 6" per revolution.

Gotcha. I had seen a thread on here previous about people modding these bench grinders for burnishing wheels and have had great results even at 3600 rpms

Agreed, youll burn the edge very quickly at that speed. Look for a dual speed buffer that has the 1700rpm range as Aaron suggested.

I was on this same idea while back, to make a weaver style machine. I eventually gave up on it and went back to the drill press.

Chuck

Get a 1/2 inch drill chuck (careful for right/left-handed threads, depending on which side of the grinder), screw it onto your arbor and chuck a standard burnisher. Problem solved.

Michelle