Smashtoad

Reptile Cuff Help

Hi all...I've been making very simple reptile skin cuffs for a year or so, but I need to advance to a better product. I have ideas that I can't pull off. Could you fellas look this simple example over and give me any suggestions that come to mind?

My style is very simple, so edges and and such need to be tight. The tough thing so far is cutting out a nice, clean window for the inlay. As you can see, my window slot sucks.

Thanks for any thoughts.

post-23696-0-44743200-1390446776_thumb.j

post-23696-0-83667000-1390446794_thumb.j

If I was doing that I would use my scroll saw.

If they are all the same size you could order a cutting die.

Another option would be to mark your outline, cut close to the edge so you can still see the mark and then finish it to the line by sanding.

It looks to me like you use a soft, stretchy leather. If you don't go to a firmer leather, what I would do/have done is to apply clear packing tape (like used for sealing boxes to ship) or cheap self-stick shelf paper (doesn't stick as tenaciously - good thing in this case) to the back of the strips when you cut. The other thing I would do is to use a round end at the end of you insert cut. Like use a punch at the point o your cutout, then start your long cut from there. do you stitch around the insert?

Thank you fellas. I am looking to start stitching soon, as I think that would be a nice addition to some pieces, if not all of them. For this example, I used an old leather belt. From now on I'll use nothing but new unfinished leather. That tape idea is sweet, and the idea of a scroll saw is nice too. I would have thought of neither. Thanks

I cut thin leather by rubber cementing it to poster board.

I cement the leather to the cardboard and then use masking tape to hold the cardboard down to keep it from moving.