DG Leather

is split leather.....?

Is it feesable and possible to tool spilt leather?

I am assuming only one side is toolable......is this accurate assumption?

what are uses of split veg tan?

Yes it is possible some where I have an article on doing that when I find it I will forward it.

Yes, either side of any veg-tanned leather is tool-able. It might be useful to tool on a split if you are looking for a rougher texture to put some carving or stamping on. The only thing I've used splits for so far is to make plugs for appliques.

Kate

Can someone please post an example of a split tooled...not the smooth side....

When a leather is split there is 1 smooth side and 3 rough sides? (this may sound elementry however I dont like assuming anything)..

Yes, either side of any veg-tanned leather is tool-able. It might be useful to tool on a split if you are looking for a rougher texture to put some carving or stamping on. The only thing I've used splits for so far is to make plugs for appliques.

Kate

When a leather is split there is 1 smooth side and 3 rough sides? (this may sound elementry however I dont like assuming anything)..

Yes, gan:

the one side is the 'grain side' (the outside- the part that used to have the hair); what is split off is actually the 'flesh' side (next to the parts we eat). As far as the number of splits, it depends upon how thick the grain side will be (in ounces or millimeters) & how thick/thin the splits will be. The grain side is the smooth side, but it could be sanded to give a suede or rough-out texture. Some people do that. The grain side is the strong side- the splits are significantly weaker so they should never be used where strength is needed. You don't want to make a belt or a gunbelt or a holster entirely out of splits.

Edited by whinewine

Can someone please post an example of a split tooled...not the smooth side....

Here's a quick sample I hacked out this morning. It's from a Wickett & Craig double-split, which are cut relatively smooth. When you order a tooling side from them, they split it to any thickness you need, free of charge, and if you request it, they'll also send you the material that was split off the side at no extra charge (although I suspect it may affect your shipping charges slightly).

SplitLeatherToolingSample_6.jpg

Kate

post-7-1239291669_thumb.jpg