Rayban

Pattern find

I came across these folks while looking for wine/grapes patterns.

Meant for wood carvers, but you'll see that you can use em too. Check it out.

http://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Rayban,

Several years ago (2000) I purchased all their patterns. Of course they do have some new additions to it. They have some great ideas for patterns and they allow you to use them and sell your work as well.

I believe that there were several previous posts on pattern finds with Irish's work...In fact I believe that there were some before the meltdown. It's good to alert people to Irish's resource. It also helps searching the site as well because there are TONS of great resources available here in previous posts.

Regards,

Ben

It also helps searching the site as well because there are TONS of great resources available here in previous posts.

Regards,

Ben

I'm sure you're right Ben, but i have to stay true to my practice of learning everything the hard way.....besides....I've tried researching stuff on this site, and always get distracted by coming across so many other goodies of interest, I forget what I started out to look for....

It also helps searching the site as well because there are TONS of great resources available here in previous posts.

Regards,

Ben

I'm sure you're right Ben, but i have to stay true to my practice of learning everything the hard way.....besides....I've tried researching stuff on this site, and always get distracted by coming across so many other goodies of interest, I forget what I started out to look for....

That's understandable about the research!!!! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Ben

Just a little warning to anyone thinking of buying these patterns: they're shipped at 72 pixels per inch, which looks fine on a computer screen but is pixelated as hell when you go to print it out. You have to increase the resolution to at least 300 ppi before it looks decent printed out. I was able to do a batch process in my editing software, but I didn't want anyone to get the rude surprise I did when I went to look at the images I purchased.

The artist is clearly talented, but the download process is cumbersome and archaic and after jumping through all those hoops I still have to edit every single file I got? It makes me a little disgruntled as a customer.

Just a little warning to anyone thinking of buying these patterns: they're shipped at 72 pixels per inch, which looks fine on a computer screen but is pixelated as hell when you go to print it out. You have to increase the resolution to at least 300 ppi before it looks decent printed out. I was able to do a batch process in my editing software, but I didn't want anyone to get the rude surprise I did when I went to look at the images I purchased.

The artist is clearly talented, but the download process is cumbersome and archaic and after jumping through all those hoops I still have to edit every single file I got? It makes me a little disgruntled as a customer.

That's what I found when I tried to download an image on their web site...but when I bought the patterns I wanted, then downloaded them per their instructions, everything was fine and very clear. I can then enlarge or reduce the pattern on my copier.

Maybe they have refined the process now...I just bought my pattern the day of my first post about them. No problems.

Edited by Rayban

That's what I found when I tried to download an image on their web site...but when I bought the patterns I wanted, then downloaded them per their instructions, everything was fine and very clear. I can then enlarge or reduce the pattern on my copier.

Maybe they have refined the process now...I just bought my pattern the day of my first post about them. No problems.

This *is* the downloaded set(s). I don't enlarge stuff on a copier, though; I do it all digitally, as then I (generally) only have to print it once. I can get the exact size I want, working in Photoshop Elements, rather than trial and error mucking about with percentages.

It's not a showstopper; it's just frustrating, and a step I don't think I should have to go through.

tashabear is partially correct about the images. They are all 100dpi or less (even the downloaded ones). I just reviewed 30 -40 of the ones that I have and the range is from 72 -100 dpi. Some editing is required but I just used them as idea generators so I was not as disappointed.

Regards,

Ben

tashabear is partially correct about the images. They are all 100dpi or less (even the downloaded ones). I just reviewed 30 -40 of the ones that I have and the range is from 72 -100 dpi. Some editing is required but I just used them as idea generators so I was not as disappointed.

Regards,

Ben

I just went to the file on my desk top, picked a pattern and printed it out. From here I would reduce it down to the size I wanted...no trouble with percentages here, I was a draftsman in a past life......and copy it to that %....I then trace it onto the leather I'm about to make a mess of trying to carve it.....dpis??? I don't care about no stinkin dpis, they really don't come into play here for me....as you can see, the lines on the printed sheet are very good enough for the way I use these patterns.

IMG_0058.jpg

I just went to the file on my desk top, picked a pattern and printed it out. From here I would reduce it down to the size I wanted...no trouble with percentages here, I was a draftsman in a past life......and copy it to that %....I then trace it onto the leather I'm about to make a mess of trying to carve it.....dpis??? I don't care about no stinkin dpis, they really don't come into play here for me....as you can see, the lines on the printed sheet are very good enough for the way I use these patterns.

IMG_0058.jpg

Clearly it works for you. Just as clearly, it pisses me off. My copier is my all-in-one inkjet, and since I wasn't a draftsman in a previous life, as I suspect a lot of people weren't, I'd have to play with the percentages to get it right. Why should I waste time and ink and paper when I can just crop the image tight and reset the size to the exact width or height I want? It doesn't stop me from buying or using the patterns, but I thought it was something people should know.

...somebody needs a nap.....

...somebody needs a nap.....

I beg your pardon? That was rude and uncalled for.