Robvulaj

Just Getting Started

Hey guys I'm very new to leather working but I just completed my first project and I have to say I'm already addicted. I took a pair of Converse Allstars completely apart and replaced the canvas with the leather from a purse my fiance no longer used, I think its cow with a nice heavy grain. I lined the inside with lambskin, and did a pretty messy job sewing it all together. But I really learned a lot from this project. I skived for the first time, rolled the edges over, learned how to operate a sewing machine, and by the time was sewing the last pieces a drastically improved. I can't wait to try again but I'd like to try a different pair of shoes. The next pair I'm considering doing has a rounded leather toe box and I would like to replace it with a suede but I'm not sure what type of leather will be best for this. I've tried searching this site for information on lasting leather but I can't find much. Can anyone give me advice on lasting suede I would greatly appreciate it. Also here is a picture of my first pair. Let me know what you think

post-64871-0-06296100-1439743387_thumb.j

First, cool kicks. Second, suede is used all the time in shoemaking, as is "rough-out" (leather inside out). I have the idea of taking a pair of shoes and making them into saddle shoes but considered doing the Converse thing, too. I don't think you need any particular suede to use for lasting but be aware that suede is more sensitive to dirt, water, and damage than the grain part of leather.

Thanks John, still have a lot to learn, what type of leather do you think is most appropriate. What will hold its shape somewhat firmly the best? Also does the leather need to be soaked first or will wetting suede discolor it?