tvd7

Hole Punch Size

Hi Everybody. I am a little new to this. So I bought the Tandy Mini and Maxi Punch Set for setting holes. But when I got them out and tried them, they were all unsharp and dull and didn't punch through anything. And I don't like the rotary kinds either. So I've decided that getting individual hole punches would be better. I want to use the hole punches for standard holes like i.e. belts, holes for putting in snaps, rivets, etc. There are so many hole sizes, so I was wondering what are the standard hole sizes for those things? Thanks!

You can set most snaps with a #2 and a #6. For buckle tongue holes, I prefer an oval punch to the round holes.

I would pick up the Osborn belt punch set for $45 before you start buying better punches like Weaver's store brand. That way you'll get 6 punches in the most common sizes and be able to get a feel for what's appropriate for your applications and usually have the correct tool at hand.

Also get a combination water stone, make a strop, and learn the basics of sharpening — only the best tools will come sharp enough to use. You will be delighted with the results.

Round punches are easy enough to get an acceptable edge on.

Use a piece of UHDPE or poundo board to preserve your edges.

Thanks JLSleather.

Thanks Nuttish. I think I will take your advise and pick up the Osborn Belt Punch Set. I think I will have to get a stone and strop too and learn about sharpening as everything I get from Tandy is never sharp.

You could try sharpening the Tandy punches with a waterstone or oilstone, and a strop first, before spending any more money. If nothing else, you'll get some practice on a cheap set before working on expensive tools

On those removeable round style punches I just chuck them in a drill to sharpen them. You only need to maintain the angle and it goes pretty fast with the drill doing the rotating. Obviously if they can't be chucked so they run true or don't wobble this won't work. Wet/dry sandpaper on thick glass or MDF will work to sharpen the tools at a minimum investment.

Learn to sharpen and tools will be more useful, you won't be afraid to use them because you can maintain them.