jprieto

Biker Wallet

I have seen very nice biker wallets, here and elsewhere

however,

none of them specify which leather type was used

im into veg-tan leather for all my work

im wondering which weight type of leather are ideal for inside pockets of biker wallets?

is is possible to use SAME leather weight for all parts (cover, pockets)? or will it be too thick?

any links to a tutorial for making biker wallets?

thanks in advance

however,

im wondering which weight type of leather are ideal for inside pockets of biker wallets?

is is possible to use SAME leather weight for all parts (cover, pockets)? or will it be too thick?

thanks in advance

Personally I always use 5/6 oz veg tan for the outsides and tooling for wallets, and on the inside I normally use a 2/3 oz veg tan. Or pig skin.

Chancey's got us all pretty well covered on that end.

Kevin King has a pretty nice tutorial on a biker style wallet. It may not be exactly what you want, but it should get you headed in the right direction.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9940

if you type in a search for bifold wallet, there are a lot of other good ideas and templates available that could be modified for a biker style wallet.

however,

thanks in advance

Been doind some biker wallets here and there....I use 3-4 oz veg tan on the outside, but glue on a liner leather (abt. 2oz ) the inside is always 2-3 oz veg tan...sometimes I sneak in a 3-4 oz chrome tan piece for the last pocket near flap....

So pretty much the same as others stated here....if you need a cpy of a biker wallet template, PM me...

Aloha

Jimbob.

I use 4/5 oz veg tan for the outer shell, and 1.5/2oz already dyed pigskin for the interior.

I use a single line 24 snap set as a closure, with the male end on the front of the outer shell and the female end on a tab extending 1-3/4" from the rear edge, about 1/3 of the way down from the top. As opposed to the traditional two snaps, with the male ends going through the outermost interior piece.

On the tab side, I have 6 credit card slots attached to a flat bill compartment. Split down the middle, with three on each side. Just cut three progressively smaller pieces with the top edge shaped like a handlebar moustache, glue the bottom portions to each other at the appropriate depth, and put a single stitch line right up the middle, then stitch the whole shebang around the edge to the outer shell.

On the front side, I have the traditional "bellows" bill pocket attached in the traditional manner to a flat bill compartment, forming a card pocket in between the two.

One 3/8" grommet on either end along the spine, for folks that like to attach chains. The reason for two instead of one is that you can carry it on either side, and still have the chain attached to the front edge, while positioning the snap toward the outside of the pocket away from your tender fourth point of contact.

I like making the wallets, but it seems a bit labor-intensive with all that hand stitching. Makes me consider getting a simple, relatively light-duty sewing machine like one of the old Singers.

I use 2-3 oz for the interior, and 6-8 for the out side. Its not a thin wallet even when empty. I started with this pattern, and have modified it a bit. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20414 Once you do a couple to see how the construction goes, you can modify the sizes to what ever your customer wants. I used a smilar design to make a full sized trucker waller, 11 inches by 5 inches. It had twice the pockets as Kate's pattern, and the customer was pretty happy with it. He was specificly looking for something not made of "soft and supple leather."