jeremiahsavoy

Stylish Curvy Pancake Holster In Progress

Interesting design. Your stitch per inch could be closer. something more like 6 stitches per inch prevents that staggered look on curves. In addition your stitch line along the slide needs to be closer to the edge of the slide.

Its a good start but you have a few things to work on in the way of the stitching.

Good work over all.

The shape looks good ,I am not a holster maker so imput from me is of no value in regards to holster function and fit .I do hand sew all my work so I do have something to say about that. I would not have used that thread on this project . It just dont work. Your sewing holes need to be closer together . These are streched out way too far . Good news is the shape and design seem to work so the foundation is okay . The other details need some attention and you are ready to go forth . Nothing ever gets better if people just blow smoke up your backside with compliments that are not true . So in my humble opinion this is where it stands for better or worse . Hope this helps ,closer sewing holes different thread straight clean line for sewing and you have a winner . Bill

I went and looked at your face book page ,you have plenty of great stuff sewing is just fine on those projects . So the only conclusion I can draw is you have a apprentice and this is his work . Thats a little unfair not saying that up front . The purpose of a critique is to give a honest assement of a project and perhaps offer a way to make the next one better . This aint your first rodeo sir and I dont know what lesson you hoped would come from this ,but I hope it is productive . Bill

I certainly do not have an apprentice. Im not really sure how to take that. Thanks for the compliments on my other stuff. I have only been working with leather for about 16 months and just started making gun holsters. God blessed me with a techsew ga15-r and its a bit heavy to work with. it is tough to make a tight stitch and especially curves. Is there a different machine better suited for holster making that could help me take it to the next level? The stitch per inch advise is great, it is tough to set on this machine so ill have to experiment. This part of leather work is new to me. There are many variables and it cant be all bad for a prototype?

As I said its good work over all. As for SPI (stitch per inch) get some leather the same thickness and experiment on how to get it to 5-6 spi. There are some great people here that can help you with your machine. Post a thread in the sewing machine section and I know someone there will be able to help you. I use a Tippman Boss so I cant help at all with adjustments on your machine.

Click here Its a link to a post by Techsew Ron. If anyone can help you he can.

Hang in there. It will work out.

I certainly do not have an apprentice. Im not really sure how to take that. Thanks for the compliments on my other stuff. I have only been working with leather for about 16 months and just started making gun holsters. God blessed me with a techsew ga15-r and its a bit heavy to work with. it is tough to make a tight stitch and especially curves. Is there a different machine better suited for holster making that could help me take it to the next level? The stitch per inch advise is great, it is tough to set on this machine so ill have to experiment. This part of leather work is new to me. There are many variables and it cant be all bad for a prototype?

No its not all bad not in any way . I hand sew all my work so it all looks the same .I have at least 12 machines from back in the day ,one day I will have to learn how to use them . I dont make holsters so any comment on anything beyond the stitching should be disregarded . That I do a bunch of . When I visited your site there was a lot of first class work there and some where the stitching needed a tiny bit of work . I saw a young man there in the pics and thought for a moment he might be assisting you hence the apprentice thought . Guess I was way off base on that . I enjoyed your booth and the display looked like you were having a great day . I have a bunch of years on you but I bet we would have a great conversation face to face . I thought all the stuff was hand sewn so it just did not compute the differences in stitching on your site with a machine thrown into the mix it all makes sense . The foundation for this holster works ,shape is good that's 99% in the plus side . Sewing makes up that last 1% but it's important . All my Best Bill

The spacing per inch has been covered. So, I'll cover the stitch line itself going around the edges of the holster. Get an adjustable creaser or groover and set it for 3/16" and go all the way around the edges of the holster. On some edges your line is about a 1/4" and on other edges it's probably only at an 1/8". It's very inconsistant. Additionally, the rear ear has a sharp upsweap under the hand grip almost coming to a sharp point. It's a little too close to the hand grip. Drop the upsweap and round that corner off some more. Personally, I don't like the design. I'm not a traditionalist stuck in the 50s, but I don't like all these holsters that people are making that have over the top swooping curves and stuff. I know it's hard to make your mark in the holster world because there's only so many ways to crack a nut, but I'd recommend sticking to a basic (traditional) design in order to learn.

Much nicer. What size and type of needle and what size thread are you using. It looks like its not a 794 chisel style needle or maybe its dull?

Could be that machine doesn't use 794 either.

But its looking 100% better. Well done.

Here is another try. Closer stitch

Big round of applause here . Nice ,well done . My compliments ! Bill