Sign in to follow this  
particle

Pancake - First Attempt - Need Feedback

I'm working on a holster for an HK P7M8. The customer said these guns have a really heavy grip and with the short barrel, they tend to tip outward in most holsters. To compensate for that, I tried to bring the bottom of the wings further outward, instead of trimming away the excess. I'm hoping this will give more surface area to push against the hip. I need to tighten up the stitch line on both sides, and perhaps bring the reinforcement a little further to the left on the trigger guard area. The grip area looks a little cramped right at the narrowest area, but my hands fit just fine with a good grip on the gun - my finger does contact the top of the holster just a tad, but I can still get a good grip without any problems. Plus, I've never handled one of these guns before (a real one), but I'm hoping that front-strap grip safety can be depressed easily enough to allow even more clearance when gripping the gun.

Anyone made any holsters for these pistols? Care to share any tips you might have learned when you developed your pattern?

post-6400-023038300 1302546293_thumb.jpg

it looks good Particle. one thing i noted with the heavier handled short guns is to concentrate on getting as much of the belt as possible behind the the meat of the trigger guard or higher. ( the higher the belt rides, the less tilt over you get) it wont ride as high but its still short enough to stay concealed and it pulls the weight of the gun against the body. it looks like you got the belt good enough behind the tirgger guard. the only way to get the belt higher up is to cant it foward more, raising the belt slot on the slide side.

Tony

Thanks Troop - I did debate increasing the angle some - right now it's about 15 degrees.

I should note that this was a mock-up with belly portions of the hide - it will not be sold or distributed. It's not a finished product... I simply built this to test and refine the pattern.

Particle, it does look good. It was a good idea to extend the wings a bit. I have handled the real gun in the past and it does have an odd balance in the holster, but not as strange as you would think. I find about 25 degrees is about right angle wise. This really lets you get on the grip.

I just did an IWB for one recently. Here is a pick of the backside. The belt loop on the other side is in line with the trigger guard, keeping most of it and the ejection port tightly under the belt. Another trick I use, is to twist the butt slightly into the body when I mold the holster. This really helps pull it in tight. You have to twist it when you are first inserting it into the leather, or it is really hard to do afterward.

post-19251-031255700 1302549143_thumb.jp

Very nice looking.

For myself it is a bit over sized for the weapon.

I'd pull the back slot in towards the trigger guard about 1/4 inch and I would probably raise the front slot up about 1 inch. This would give it a better rake which would keep the bottom of the weapon high on the belt line and make it so the grip would be pulled into the side helping keep it hidden under a cover shirt.

post-15329-040020600 1302553812_thumb.jp

post-15329-059973700 1302553832_thumb.jp

With the weapon tilted a bit more you will find it allows the back slot to pull it into the body...

How many stitches per inch and what size thread did you use? The boning looks very nice.

Particle; You might look into working up a holster for the gun utilizing LOBO'S 'Enhanced Pancake' design. The one I did for a little Sig 232 has been received by my customer with nothing but praise. He says that he has never had a more comfortable holster, nor one that keeps the gun in closer to the body than the one I built him. LOBO'S design really pulls the gun in closer and tighter than the standard pancake. It also allowed me to situate the gun a bit higher than in a standard pancake. If you can''t tell, I'm sold on it . Mike

How many stitches per inch and what size thread did you use? The boning looks very nice.

Don't know off-hand, but judging by the grid on the green cutting board I use, it's about 5 stitches per inch. I'm using 277 thread. And thanks for the compliment on the boning!

Thanks for all of the input you all have offered. I worked up a revised pattern last night with an increased forward cant, tightened stitch lines, and a narrower footprint on the hip. I'll post pictures once I get the revised version formed up - hopefully tonight.

I'm betting off hand that it will be w winner takinf into consideration your quality of work and eye for attaining perfection...

Not stroking you at all, I mean it.

Eric

This is my iteration of a holster for the P7. This one is for the PSP with the shorter triggerguard and heel mag release but the pattern is essentialy the same for the M8 just a different stitchline and cut a little lower to accomodate the mag releases.

Troops right about getting as much belt behind the triggerguard as possible. As to cant this one is about 20deg.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm with the majority opinion that it will be nice.

post-7354-073860600 1302667270_thumb.jpg

Eric

This is my iteration of a holster for the P7. This one is for the PSP with the shorter triggerguard and heel mag release but the pattern is essentialy the same for the M8 just a different stitchline and cut a little lower to accomodate the mag releases.

Very nice indeed.

Edited by Reaper

That looks great Denster - and thanks Reaper for the kind words. I have a revised pattern sitting on my bench, but haven't had a chance to work on it yet - dang allergies giving me headaches in the evenings! Will be starting another batch tonight and will try to post photos as soon as I can of the revised HK holster.

I'm working on a holster for an HK P7M8. The customer said these guns have a really heavy grip and with the short barrel, they tend to tip outward in most holsters. To compensate for that, I tried to bring the bottom of the wings further outward, instead of trimming away the excess. I'm hoping this will give more surface area to push against the hip. I need to tighten up the stitch line on both sides, and perhaps bring the reinforcement a little further to the left on the trigger guard area. The grip area looks a little cramped right at the narrowest area, but my hands fit just fine with a good grip on the gun - my finger does contact the top of the holster just a tad, but I can still get a good grip without any problems. Plus, I've never handled one of these guns before (a real one), but I'm hoping that front-strap grip safety can be depressed easily enough to allow even more clearance when gripping the gun.

Anyone made any holsters for these pistols? Care to share any tips you might have learned when you developed your pattern?

particle; from the grumpy old man; the only thing that strikes me is the distance of your belt slots are away from the gun itself.....or how close they are to the holster's edge. In my experience, the closer to the gun you place them, the tighter the holster will be pulled into the body of the person wearing it........AND the tighter it will remain. Over time, those slots will stretch some, and you'll notice that there isn't actually too much leather between the slot and the outer edge of the holster..........the same where it exits. I'd move the slots in to about mid way between the holster edge and the stitching.....JMHO. Other than that, it's a darned good looking rig. Mike