Sign in to follow this  
mauifarrier

Kaula Ili - "skin Rope" In Hawaiian

Thanks in part to everyone's input on the subject of reata braiding in this forum, and with much reference to Bruce Grant's book, I completed my first Kaula ili. A Hawaiian style reata. It measures 35' because my shortest strand was 45' long.

1/4" wide strands. no core, mature steer hide. two strands dyed dark with coffee & rusty iron.

It was good practice and I am eager to gather critiques and further information before starting another one in a few months.

A note on the honda: The brass rope thimble is from the mariner influence in hawaiian ranching. Not only were the first cowboys sailors, but there were some decades of transporting the cattle by roping cattle and then riding horse and cow out to sea to an awaiting boat. You can buy teardrop shaped brass rope thimbles at Trick Roping Supply in Nevada, or round ones (to be compressed into oval shape) at most sail & marine stores. The brass has a nice weight when you swing and throw, but I'm a novice so I don't know much difference.

Thanks in advance for the critiques...

Aloha,

Gretchen

There wasn't much info in YouTube about reatas, so I made a video of the making of this one. the link is:

post-15095-008167500 1325907857_thumb.jp

post-15095-051192400 1325907954_thumb.jp

post-15095-017561300 1325907978_thumb.jp