xlr8tn

How do I make these grooves

Can someone tell me how to put the 2 little creases as seen in the watch strap keeper? Do I use a groover or something else?

Thanks,

Brent

walteryarrbk4.jpg

post-5299-1204149817_thumb.jpg

HELLO ... ADJUSTABLE WING DIVIDERS ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME....

Brent,

A screw crease or a fixed creaser works, also a tickler and a straight edge. People who make a awful lot of them (belt guys) would use a roller creaser ($1000) to pump out straps and then cut them into keepers. Just depends on how much you have to do. The creases and ticklers may burnish the leather that could give a little difficulty in dyeing, the rollers don't do that. I use the little Tandy groover for decoration sometimes, you can do one line or a series of parallel lines that look pretty good, but it is different than what you have there.

Art

Can someone tell me how to put the 2 little creases as seen in the watch strap keeper? Do I use a groover or something else?

Thanks,

Brent

Those little lines look more like what happens when I use a keen edge beveler and let my hand rock too far upright instead of keeping the 45 degree angle. The edge of the tool ends up making a tiny line just like that. That's what I would guess happened on this piece.

there are tools called round bottom creasers that come in different sizes and when the leather is damp or what you would call cased you run the bottom edge creaser down the edge and it will put in the lines you are asking about. Gomph, and CS Osborn are the most common ones found. check out ebay for some of these tools as they seem to be pretty plentiful.

I'd guess creaser as well, the lines are too defined to be made by a beveler. Or it could be a divider. If you case your leather properly the lines stand out real well.