Sign in to follow this  
lull0713

finishes?

Since this is my first post I'd like to start by saying hello, and that I am very impressed with everyones work!

Now to the point...I've dug through the forum and have seen alot of different methods of finishing leather, and now my head is spinning trying to figure out the best products to use, let alone the order in which to use them!

Leatherwork has been a hobby of mine for a while, and now people are starting to ask me to make things for them. Since my work is for other people now I want to step up my game and give them a professional long lasting finish! I'm a biker myself and plan to make a solo seat for my ducati (more to come on that later!) We all know our gear has to take a lot of abuse with sunlight, rain, oil, etc! So what products and steps do you all use to finish your seats?

Since this is my first post I'd like to start by saying hello, and that I am very impressed with everyones work!

Now to the point...I've dug through the forum and have seen alot of different methods of finishing leather, and now my head is spinning trying to figure out the best products to use, let alone the order in which to use them!

Leatherwork has been a hobby of mine for a while, and now people are starting to ask me to make things for them. Since my work is for other people now I want to step up my game and give them a professional long lasting finish! I'm a biker myself and plan to make a solo seat for my ducati (more to come on that later!) We all know our gear has to take a lot of abuse with sunlight, rain, oil, etc! So what products and steps do you all use to finish your seats?

Lexol is the product I see recommended for bike seats. I'm about to make a couple of seats this winter. Have a Honda SuperHawk and my buddy rides an Aprilia. What weight and type of leather are you intending to use? Vegetable tanned, latigo, chrome tanned?

Lexol is a great conditioner but its not a sealer per say.

Everyone will be slightly different in how they do it and what they recommend. What I like to do is

Once the leather is tooled and dyed if thats what your doing I then oil with neatsfoot one good coat. Let this sit over night.

Then I like to use some sno-seal and put a coat of that on and that usually takes a day to absorb in.

Then I usually do a few coats of leatherbalm with atom wax as the finish.