Nandy

Japanese Vs Chinese, The War Of The Clones!

I am have listed my 225 in craigslist in the search for a machine with reverse. I thought I could just manually back tack but most of the times I can't line up the stitches. Maybe is just that I need to practice a bit more...

Anyway, someone had a Chikon Supreme CK-563 locally for close to $500. I have look it up and found little info. Seems to be chinese and I simply dont have idea on the quality of those machines.

I also have been offer a Chandler LU-563 but it is far away and more money so mostly distance then money have me on hold for that machine.

Ultimately I might end up keeping my consew 225, the machine does great, just dont have reverse...

Thanks!

Chikon has been a clone maker out of Taiwan for at least 25 years. Most of their stuff has other names on it, but Chikon is their name for their machines. The one you are looking at is probably a Juki 563 clone. These are used a lot in upholstery and trim shops, which means you just have to look closely for wear. If it has a lot of miles on it and the price is too right, then be careful. Pristine Jukis go for a grand tops so a Chikon ought to be a lot less. If you want a likable machine, a servo motor and speed reducer will make it civilized. If it came from a trim shop, it will be set-up to go like a bat. There should be parts for it all over eBay or any supply if it is a clone of the 563.

Art

the machine looks in real good shape outside. how Donnie look for wear? is there anything specific I should look for? I don't expect you to write a book but some pointers will be great. I do small engine mechanics so I know how to turn a wrench so I'm not totally hopeless.

Donnie,

Make sure the needle bar is tight. Rock the handwheel back an forth and make sure there isn't a lot of slop. Look underneath and inside the covers for wear signs including shavings. The wicks where you see them should be wet or conversely not dry. Check for slop in the hook, there shouldn't be any dings in the hook or anything else down there and a nice lite coating of oil would be nice to see. Make sure there is oil in the reservoir (if it has one,an LU-563 would). Make sure the knee lifter works. AND MOST IMPORTANT -- Sew it off -- it should stitch well, take your product. It should be timed for a 135x16 for leather or 135x17 for fabric. Make sure tension works, that you can move the lock (by changing the tension). Make sure stitch length is adjustable and that reverse works, preferably in the same holes. Check the bobbin winder, there is nothing worse than winding bobbins by hand. Listen all the while for bad noises. If something is obvious to you then it may really be bad. If it sews well, then it probably is ok.

Art

Thanks!!!!

Could I ask a further question?

We have one of the CK 563 clones. It needs a rebuild, according to our Sewing Machine guru.

He’s training me in repair, so I could use it for a practice machine.

The question is, is the CK 563 a perfect clone, so I can use Juki 563 parts?

Getting the Tiawanese parts is ridiculously expensive.

Since what went out on the CK 563 was the stitch length regulator, I’d need to know that I could put a Juki part in it before making the effort.

... is there anything specific I should look for?

I don't recall were this tip comes from, but a different forum I think.

To test stitch length, set the stitch length, un-tread the needle and with the hand-wheel operate the machine sewing forward “sewing” a piece of light cardboard or heavy paper for a few inches. Then with the hand-wheel operate the machine in reverse. The needle holes in reverse should perfectly match the holes going forward. Remove the cardboard and measure the actual stitch-length versus the setting. Do that for various stitch lengths.

Chikon has been a clone maker out of Taiwan for at least 25 years. Most of their stuff has other names on it, but Chikon is their name for their machines. The one you are looking at is probably a Juki 563 clone. These are used a lot in upholstery and trim shops, which means you just have to look closely for wear. If it has a lot of miles on it and the price is too right, then be careful. Pristine Jukis go for a grand tops so a Chikon ought to be a lot less. If you want a likable machine, a servo motor and speed reducer will make it civilized. If it came from a trim shop, it will be set-up to go like a bat. There should be parts for it all over eBay or any supply if it is a clone of the 563.

Art

How does the chikon 441 stack up to the other clones? I have a reputable place local to me that has sold them for 20 years but i just heard the name for the first time today and am very near to pulling the pin on a shipped in machine. Would rather a local but am very leery of a name i have never heard of.....

The taiwanese machinery is usually a cut above the Chinese stuff, the price is also higher. Chikon has been making heavy duty and some big long arm stuff (I've seen these in sail lofts) for many years. I don't think you can go wrong with the CK-441 with a speed reducer and a brush type servo motor. Buying from a respected local dealer is also a good choice.

Art

Cobra/techsew fully loaded are both around 4000-4200 landed in my shop, while the bare bones chikon with 3/4clutch motor and speed reducer is 4200 before tax. No feet or accessories. They don't carry them. He said he can cut down a foot for me......I'm thinking local isnt the best choice....

Cobra/techsew fully loaded are both around 4000-4200 landed in my shop, while the bare bones chikon with 3/4clutch motor and speed reducer is 4200 before tax. No feet or accessories. They don't carry them. He said he can cut down a foot for me......I'm thinking local isnt the best choice....

Like I said, better quality machine -- higher price. I've got a hill of machines around here, and the only ones I have changed feet on are the 618s, upholstery machines, because I use welt feet a lot. Three 441s and a Campbell all run double toe feet. You will find that local CAN be darned handy when you are having problems. Do what is comfortable for you.

Art