Hey all. New guy here so please excuse my ignorance. Just finished up my first leather project which was a sheath for a knife I just picked up. Learned alot in the process and got some valuable experience. I'm thinking I want to try a holster for a J-frame snub nose next. Anyone know if a pattern is available for this revolver? I understand entire books of patterns can be purchased but I'm really only interested in the one at this time. Any ideas. Thanks. Here are a couple of pics of the finished sheath. Not real pretty but at least it's functional.

knives007.jpg

knives005.jpg

Edited by Knifeknut

Badgers? We don't need no stinking Badgers! :PB)

Nice knife and nice sheath. Welcome to the forums. :wave:

Just be patient someone should be able to help you out with a pattern. Or in the mean time you could try doing one yourself. It's always worth a try and I can almost guarantee you'll at least learn something.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks for the welcome guys. I may end up trying to do one without a pattern if it turns out to be difficult to find. We'll see. Oh and Grunt, you got an eye for Busse I see. I like that. :thumbsup:

Oh and Grunt, you got an eye for Busse I see. I like that. :thumbsup:

Yeah you could say that jammin_hog.gif

rug2.JPG

You can make your own pattern using card stock file folders. Use the fold crease of the flolder as your center line. Use a ruler as a belt slot placement guide.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

To my knowledge there are really no pattern packs available for modern pistols. Most if not all the great looking holsters you see on this site were designed by the guy who made the holster. Take the time to read the prior posts and you will learn alot about making holsters. Al Stolhmans book on holster making available at Tandy/Leather Factory will give you some ideas for western type holsters as well as making patterns. Below is a review of a prior post describing how I make my holster patterns.

I use regular file folders available in any office supply store. I picked up a box of 100 today for under 7 dollors. Any way,

I stand the weapon up with the front site on the center crease of the file folder and the rear site centered on the center crease.

I carefully lay the weapon on it's side and trace around the weapon onto the folder.

I now draw out my holster style over the tracing I just made and allowing additions for leather thickness and stitch lines.

I then cut my pattern out, following my trace lines but cutting out side of the trace lines making the pattern a little larger then needed. You can always trim your leather down, but once you have removed too much, it's gone.

The next part is more trial and error. You need to lay out your pattern onto your leather. I use a silver pen for this part. I always trace a little outside of the pattern to be sure I have enough leather for the holster.

Hope this helped. It's easier to do then to explain.

Best Wishes

Randy

Thanks Randy and TwinOaks. Why didn't I think of that? I'll try that method out.

Knifenut, there's nothing wrong with that sheath that I can see. I can guarantee that the more you do the better you will get at it and the easier it will be. As for the pattern I'm with Randyc and TwinOaks that the best thing is try to make your own pattern. Some of the books will give you some ideas an show you how to construct the holster, so they may be worth getting. There are quite a few posts her about holsters here that should help you figure it out. I seem to remember Jordan posting a tutorial on how he does it. He makes holsters for small semi-autos, so it should be something you can adapt. Hope this helps!

Warren

Edited by Warren

Randy, thanks for chiming in. I'm just wondering if you have that entire list of directions cut and pasted off in a file somewhere...

Mike

I cut and pasted the list off my own prior post on this forum. I did eliminate one step on this re-posting. I eliminated tracing around the pistol twice, that is on (both sides of the crease line.) I only trace around the pistol on one side of the crease line. After I cut the pattern out, both sides of the pattern are exactly the same size. I was taught the same method for laying out boot tops when I attended western boot school.

If I ever get the time, I plan to post this pattern method, step by step with photos. I'm sure there are other methods to lay out a pattern. I know Jordan uses graph paper. I would like to see the methods used by other guys on this forum.

Alright Mike, now you have it. Now get busy and build more holsters! :thumbsup:

Randy

Only use graph paper cause it was free LOL also gives me brain some liner reference cause I get lost real easy. :dunno: