Sign in to follow this  
Paulr

Dome

HI, I’m looking to make a dome for a hat. I don’t have much experience with stretching/forming leather and was looking for some help. Can this be done out of one piece?

It seems like this would leave folds but I don’t really know much about how far you can push leather. I was going to use 3-4 oz.

I would like to eliminate any seams if I can. Any help you could give would be great. Thanks.

Paul,

It depends on what you define as a "dome". If it is a little cap kind of like an old fashioned "beaney", . . . it can probably be done. If you want a full fledged half a sphere, like cutting a basketball in two, . . . that is going to be pretty tough.

You will need a mold for certain, . . . of the size and shape you want the thing to finish out as, . . . stretch it over the mold, . . . fasten it to a board under the mold, as close as you can to the mold, . . . let it dry...

When you wet the thing, . . . soak it in hot water that has had just a few drops of dish washing liquid mixed into it. Don't get it too hot to handle, . . . but as hot as you can handle, . . . it'll stretch a bit more that way.

Look straight above these posts, . . . there is a pinned article on "wet formed bag tutorial",........... you need to see that.

Best wishes.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight