LewSchiller

Servo Motor Swap: Brake Or Needle Positioner

Looking to upgrade the Artisan 797ab to a Servo Motor.

Looking at two motors - one is the ConSew CS1000 which is available with needle positioner

the other is this 3/4 horse motor which has a brake.

I've never had a machine that had either feature so I'm unsure if the needle positioner is worthwhile option. The brake - in theory - would be really nice expecially for a rank beginner like myself. I also like the price of the brake motor. I spoke with the seller of the brake motor - they say they've had good success with that motor and use it on their refurbished machines.

The third consideration is the ability to do the DIY speed control mod. Looks like they both have the same style of optical speed control

Anybody have an opinion?

Thanks!!

EDIT: I made my decision after a conversation with Bob Kovar. I ordered his Family Sew motor which has a brake. The complication of adding a sensor to the equation led me to go this route. I think the question is still a valid one though.

Edited by LewSchiller

Since it is still a valid question. I dont like the brake. In order to handwheel the machine you have to power the motor ever so slightly so the brake will release. As for the needle positioner, I am used to handwheeling the last couple strokes and dont do high speed sewing. For me it has no use.

I have needle positioners on my machines and I like them. I set them up so they stop needle pound down. This helps me see tight curves and corners. I don't need tO hand wheel the corners cause I can move the material, tap the pedal and have the machine advance exactly one stitch and repeat. At the end of the stitch I tap the heel of the pedal and the needle lifts out. For me it was very helpful. Certainly a bit more work to install and adjust but I like the results.

Since it is still a valid question. I dont like the brake. In order to handwheel the machine you have to power the motor ever so slightly so the brake will release. As for the needle positioner, I am used to handwheeling the last couple strokes and dont do high speed sewing. For me it has no use.

Hmm - the negative aspect of the brake isn't something I'd thought of - although I'm so new at this I'm surprised I can think at all.

I have two Family Sew motors I bought from Bob Kovar and neither has the brake engaged. Perhaps they have an adjustment screw inside the case. One could locate and turn that screw until the brake was off by default.

I already see the question coming, so here is my answer in advance. I use my right hand on the flywheel to stop the machine from running on when I take my foot off the pedal. This works fine for me at the speeds I typically sew at. If I have cranked up the speed to git-er done, I slow down as I approach the end of the stitch line, then halt the machine by hand brake.

I suspect that some brake-fitted servo motors have more range of adjustment available than others. Those could be set up to allow more foot movement before the motor begins to turn over. This would allow more motion to disengage the brake. That is how I setup my clutch motors.

Wiz, your positive review in a previous post was a major factor in my decision. That and the time Bob took to help me understand the differences in motors, speed controls and features.

Bob even offered to bring it along with him to the Rendevous here in Denver later this month so I could pick it up and save the freight.

I opted to pay UPS so I can get the motor sooner and get it set-up - but that was a heck of a nice offer! I look forward to meeting him at the show!

Edited by LewSchiller