Sign in to follow this  
Opagon

I was asked to braid on a set of barrel reins

Ok, I was asked to braid on a set of barrel reins. Problem one - the reins had more of an oval shape to them rather than being round. The diameter of the reins called for 10 1/8 strings. Problem two - I grabbed the wrong :censored2: strings- These hadnt been beveled yet.

Problem three - Everthing was nice and tight when the reins where straight but the second I started working and playing with them as they would be if riding with them, the braid began to gap in between some of the strings.

Things I liked: the pattern worked really well for the shape of the reins and created a nice feel to the reins where it stayed tight (Under one, over three, under one) and My knots all came out the same size.

BraidingPhotos_194.jpgBraidingPhotos_195.jpg

Comments or ideas??

Heather

post-5205-1197216310_thumb.jpg

post-5205-1197216327_thumb.jpg

Really a great looking plait for the oval shaped reins--nice, clean even work.

Opagon

I think they look great! I plaited over a pair of those flat racing reins one time for my wife. I think it was a sixteen strand braid. If I remember right I only needed to use 14 or 15 to cover the dia. of the reins. But I went with the sixteen strands and I didn't get any gapping when they were used. I don't know if it was because I used more strings than needed or if it was fools luck. I know thats not much help but thats about all I can offer.Mike

Wow - they look nice! The knots look great, and I like the leather you used.

As far as the gapping goes... huh. Well, if I had made them, I would NOT want to go back and take them apart, I'd try and make them work out. One of the things I might try is to pull them through a knot hole (a smooth one) a couple of times, to get the braide to elongate a little. You could also pull them over the top of something smooth and rounded, exerting pressure on them. The strings would then be at a slightly different angle and the gaps might go away. Now, since the lace is not beveled, it might score up the edges, so you might not want to do that. For me, I don't mind if stuff looks "used" but I realize that you are making these for someone else, and they just might mind.

Sometimes too, people (I should say, non-braiding people) won't notice something like that. How close do you have to look to see the gapping? In the photographs, they look pretty darn nice.

Thanks all,

I am still kicking myself over not double checking the strings. I just assumed that because they were in the box with the rest of the Finished strings that they were finished. It wasnt until I was rolling out the braid that I noticed that something wasnt right. Check and Double check.....

I too thought of pulling them but the shape of the reins is oval and I would need to make a new rounder. I am going to try re-rolling them again by hand and see if that helps. To me the gaps are blaringly obvious and really show up on the under three passes while they are held in an arc. I tried to show where the gaps are the worst. I do have a tendency to be overly critical of my work but I think that is a good thing. The good news is that I have an extra of the reins so I am going to make another set for her but this time use 12.

Heather