Sigo

Hopefull bootmaker

I've enjoyed this site tremendously. I am brand new to leather work. My goal is to learn how to make custom western/cowboy boots. I used to wear boots all the time when I was a kid. When the Army sent us to Kansas a few years ago, I started wearing boots again. I went from wearing off-the-shelf boots to getting exposed to the world of custom boots. I am amazed by the abilities of many boot makers. I realized I was spending more and more time admiring boots and finally realized that I wanted to learn how to make them. Last summer I bought a Singer 31-15 sewing machine. Work has kept me so busy the past year so I've not had as much time to work on sewing as I had hoped. We'll be moving this summer to Georgia and I hope that I'll have some extra time there to sew more. I recently bought a Landis 5in1 on ebay. I used it a little today and everything worked great.

My goal is to slowly acquire the tools I need. Since we move every few years, I can't get anything too big or too heavy. My goal is to learn how to make boots for myself, not the public. I'm hoping that will help me avoid getting any of the really big stuff that many boot makers need. Until I am able to spend time with a bootmaker, I'll continue to work on my sewing and admire those that can make them. Unfortunately it seems most bootmakers are in the west, not in the east where we are headed next.

This site will be a big help to expand my knowledge. I certainly enjoy reading all the posts.

Kevin

Kevin, if you aren't on the right path, none of us are. Welcome to the forum!

Kevin, Welcome to the forum. Hope you fine what you are looking for.

Welcome Kevin, good to have you here. I hope you can find what you are looking for in regards to making boots, noy sure who is here that knows how, but I do think there is someone.

Ken

Way back when I was going to go to the Oklahoma Boot and Saddle School...probably defunct now. I never followed thru.

Here's a few links to keep the fire going:

http://customcowboybootsandshoesforum.com/...s.cgi?pg=topics

http://www.thehcc.org/

http://www.bootmaker.com/

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've read a whole lot about making boots but there is a huge difference between reading something and putting it into practice. I learn best by watching, then doing. Looking forward to learning from everyone here.

Kevin

Hi Kevin welcome to the forum, Don