Hi

In all the examples I've seen for tooling/carving leather, a light tan colored leather is used and then dyed black or whatever color(s). Can black leather be used seen that that's what I have or is it best to use the tan colored then dye it black?

thanks

J,

If it's dyed black, odds are it's either chrome tanned or drum-dyed vegtan, and in either case, it won't be optimal material for stamping a good pattern. As you mentioned, the best way to get a good stamped pattern is to start with properly cased vegtan (or tooling) leather -- the "tan" stuff.

Below is a snippet from Johanna's post on carving leather (in case you need additional information on casing prior to stamping)...

Good luck and welcome to the forums! -Alex :)

Casing Leather

Applying water to vegetable tanned leather to prepare it for carving or molding is called "casing". There are several ways to accomplish this, but the best results are achieved using a spray bottle. This allows an even application of the water without water spotting. Spray the flesh side of the leather evenly and heavily, after you see it penetrate the leather, turn it over and spray the grain side.

After several minutes, the leather will look as though it is beginning to dry. It may be, but the water is also penetrating deeply into the fibers. When the leather is nearly its original color, it should be ready to carve.

The leather may look dry, but dry leather will feel warm the touch. Properly cased leather should look dry but feel cool to the touch.

I use a lot of drum dyed veg tan. In anything over 5/6oz there might not be sufficient "strike through" to keep from showing undyed center portions in carving. You can still case it and stamp it, but you have to go really light with a knife. HO does better than W/C in this area but that may have changed, the last piece of W/C "English Bridle" I received was pretty good.

The other problem with black drum dyed or any kind of dye job is there is nothing left to contrast and show off carving or stamping. This doesn't affect stamping too much like basketweave or border stamps where you don't necessarily want it to jump out, but for carving and detailing, the contrast is an important part of the presentation which is somewhat lost with black.

Art

Hi

In all the examples I've seen for tooling/carving leather, a light tan colored leather is used and then dyed black or whatever color(s). Can black leather be used seen that that's what I have or is it best to use the tan colored then dye it black?

thanks

I use a lot of drum dyed veg tan. In anything over 5/6oz there might not be sufficient "strike through" to keep from showing undyed center portions in carving. You can still case it and stamp it, but you have to go really light with a knife. HO does better than W/C in this area but that may have changed, the last piece of W/C "English Bridle" I received was pretty good.

The other problem with black drum dyed or any kind of dye job is there is nothing left to contrast and show off carving or stamping. This doesn't affect stamping too much like basketweave or border stamps where you don't necessarily want it to jump out, but for carving and detailing, the contrast is an important part of the presentation which is somewhat lost with black.

Art

I have recently shown a prototype belt pouch to an interested party, who would like to have personalized veg tan pouches for his entire highland pipe regiment. The prototype is a mahogany & the only problem is that he wants them in black. They will be worn on WHITE BELTS, so dyeing them by hand is not an option, because of the crocking problem. I am also planning on using black drum dyed veg tan. They will have no carving- there will be a stag's head surrounded by a wreath of leaves & the name of the regiment stamped above & below the crest. Alignment would be the only problem that I can see. Since they're close, I'll use wickett & craig.

Edited by whinewine

While you are at WC, ask them for a sample string, not a line card like they send others. These are really representative samples of their leathers and help in understanding what they are producing and what they are calling it. If you are ordering from them it shouldn't bend them too far out of shape.

Art

I have recently shown a prototype belt pouch to an interested party, who would like to have personalized veg tan pouches for his entire highland pipe regiment. The prototype is a mahogany & the only problem is that he wants them in black. They will be worn on WHITE BELTS, so dyeing them by hand is not an option, because of the crocking problem. I am also planning on using black drum dyed veg tan. They will have no carving- there will be a stag's head surrounded by a wreath of leaves & the name of the regiment stamped above & below the crest. Alignment would be the only problem that I can see. Since they're close, I'll use wickett & craig.

Art: I will do that, if I get the order. I just turned over the prototype last week & the whole regiment will need to see it. I refuse to get a whole side just for a few pouches, considering W/C's prices are in excess of $6++ per square foot, compared to the normal veg tan I often buy.