Got an older Dale Chavez saddle in the other day to be worked on,needed new rigging. While tearing it down found thay had used what looked like roofing nails.At first I thought this was a past repair,but on further checking,that is what they used.Anyone else come across one like this?The nails look like roofing nails without the galvanized coating.Same size heads.This was a higher end saddle with full hand tooled floral carving.Is or was this a common way of building them down in that end of the world?

To answer your question - yes those nails are used. I see them in several saddles. The Dale Chavez saddles (not to be confused with Robert Chavez) were a production made saddle and I had a trophy saddle from them. One of the worst riding saddles I ever rode until I sold it. The lady that bought it needed shorter fenders. I made the fenders a lot narrower and took out some of the forweard stirrup slot to help them at least have some forward reach. It rode a little better.. The stirrups were still sort of behind me though. They are usually tooled OK for the patterns they use. Edges are barely beveled, edge dye slopped over some. More than one has had the swell cover not molded very well and wrinkles down low that showed. Normally a sofa foam padded seat. They are a show saddle and were in the mix with the Silver Mesas and the other rail riding saddles.

I have seen their newer ones and I'm not to impressed ether.This one looks like it mite be a 70's-80's model.I'm just guessing,no numbers on it anywhere.No silver or anything.Was just surprised they used that type nails in it.Saddle is pretty beat up,but I'll try to get some pictures on here Wed.

I have had the very lovely experience of repairing them with those nails as well. What fun. Hope you know I am being a tad sarcastic. I also made saddlebags to match one and had to make one side quite a bit different as the back of the cantle was off. Customers think they have a high end saddle and after working on a few, I am not impressed.