Bruce H

Another New Guy Question...swivel Knife Blades

Hi everyone...I hope these are not redundant questions.

I'm new to the forum and the leather world...I've been doing lots of reading.

I purchased a lot (Group) of tools off Ebay and a swivel knife was included.

I have this sharpened and stropped it cuts well but tight curves etc. are hard to maneuver.

This is a 3/8 straight blade knife.

My questions are should I be using a 1/4" angled blade for making swoops / small curves etc.?

Can i use this blade all the time?

Basically I'm practicing on small oak leaves and Sheridan style flowers. (On small scraps of leather)

Do any of you use 1/4" angled blades all the time or switch back and forth?

Should i steer away from a hollow ground blade as a beginner?

Or do i just need more practice with my 3/8" blade?..Again i feel that i have this very sharp...No skipping or dragging is taking place and I feel the leather is cased well.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

Bruce, welcome to the Forum and the wonderful world of leatherworking...

I currently use three different types of SK blades, a 3/8" straight, 1/4" straight, and a 1/4" angled. For larger designs that do not have a lot of tight turns I use the 3/8" straight blade, for smaller areas I use the 1/4" straight, and for very tight designs with a lot of sharp turns I use the 1/4" angled.

Some of the more proficient carvers can use the 3/8" straight blade with ease for almost all carving, I am not one of them... Since my eyesight is not quite as good as it once was, I find the 1/4" straight blade gives me better vision of my cuts --- for really tight designs the 1/4" angled blade is invaluable, at least for me...

Thanks Tramp the reply is appreciated!

I just ordered a new 1/4" blade...I don't know what the big deal is its just

another $10 buks...well plus another $10 for something else...The dollars just keep adding up...LOL

Now if i can somehow just make money buy perfection / experience i'd have it made.

I'm with you i think the 1/4 blade may give better vision when carving.

My work area looks like an operating room with all the lighting / shinny tools laying around...LOL

Thanks again

Bruce

I agree with all of you about blade selections. There is an added problem for me in the fact that I have one good arm and the other is very weak from a major accident in the Navy. I found a CS Osborne 1 5/8 punch with a steel base on EBAY that was totally rusted. I used acid gel, scrub brush, wire wheel, sand paper and gold paint to make it my leather WEIGHT to keep the work from moving around. It is easier to work on larger items.

Sometimes it is better to purchase a LARGE lot of tools to get what you WANT and sell the rest in smaller lots to recoup some of your money. I have done this many times and saved a bundle. I have 3- 3/8 swivel knives non-adjustable, 2- 3/8 spare blades, 1 each 1/4 inch straight non, 1/4 inch angled adjustable and a 1/4 inch hollow ground adjustable.

Sounds like a lot, I know, but getting them as part of a larger lot allows me to sharpen them before a project and keep going. Tim.