Timothy

Economical Double Shoulders

I am needing some leather for belts, knife sheaths, and maybe a couple of holsters and spur straps. It will be basket or border stamped. I will be ordering it, not buying in person.

Tandy has Craftsman Oak 8\9 oz. double shoulders on sale for $3.79 sq. ft. I was already looking at Zach White's Imported double shoulders for $4.55 or thier premium bullhide for $5.75.

It seems like the concensus of opinions here is that the cheaper grades of Tandy leathers aren't very good quality. I'm wondering if Zach Whites Imported leather is better or if I should go with the premium bullhide.

I need to stay with leather that is affordable but don't want alot of waste from a sorry hide either. The premium bullhide is about the most expensive I can afford right now.

I decided on double shoulders because I want something big enough for belts and don't want to deal with flank and belly leather. I am hoping some of you have used these leathers and can give me some information on the quality of each.

I really appreciate your help.

Tim

Edited by Timothy

Call Wickett & Craig - 1-800-826-6379

They currently have their 8/10 oz tooling dbl shoulders on sale for $50.00 - they average 12-14sq ft - just ask for them.....

I want something big enough for belts and don't want to deal with flank and belly leather

Actually with shoulders you will still have some belly on the far outer edges - the only way to get leather free of belly leather is buying backs which IMO are the very best for belts due to the stretch characteristics of leather......

Hello Tim,

we've got double shoulders that are #1 imports for 4.49 per ft. They avg 12-14 ft, and are pretty good. I'm sure Zack White's are good as well. We've also got an argentine double shoulder for 3.99 per ft that I think is a real bargain. One thing about the argentine leather is that it molds exceptionally well. For what it's worth, argentine leather will usually be just a tish darker than most other south american veg leathers, but they've really got the tanning process figured out pretty well. We buy double shoulders from all over mexico, brazil, and other countries, but the Argentine ones are the best for tooling in my opinion. Email me sometime, and I'll send you a sample of each so you can see the difference. :)Kevin@springfieldleather.com

Thanks.

That was just what I needed, more options. I will be ordering from Springfield or Wickett and Craig. The prices on both sound great.

Thanks again,

Tim