katsass

What Is A Karung Snake?

I have Googled Karung snake and Karung snakeskin.....to no avail. I want to know what the heck kind of critter it is..other than a 'generic' snake. I live in Ca. and darned near any exotic slither skin is unlawful to work with for commercial purposes. Western Diamondback rattlers are 'endangered' along with every sub species of that particular slither. Python also, even though they are trying to eradicate them from the south. Cobra is also out. I can use Eastern Diamondback and Sea snake, but am wondering if the Karung is a real snake or kin to the famous varicolored (yet never seen alive) Nauga. Thanks, Mike

I tried several different search engines and came up the same thing as you. Makes me wonder if it's a made up name for a common snake some place and Karung sounds better more expensive or something. Kinda like eel leather is not really eel it's really a slimy fish i can't remember their name that lives on the bottom in the ocean.

Edited by dirtclod

I have Googled Karung snake and Karung snakeskin.....to no avail. I want to know what the heck kind of critter it is..other than a 'generic' snake. I live in Ca. and darned near any exotic slither skin is unlawful to work with for commercial purposes. Western Diamondback rattlers are 'endangered' along with every sub species of that particular slither. Python also, even though they are trying to eradicate them from the south. Cobra is also out. I can use Eastern Diamondback and Sea snake, but am wondering if the Karung is a real snake or kin to the famous varicolored (yet never seen alive) Nauga. Thanks, Mike

Maybe this will help http://www.genuineostrichhides.com/snakeskins.html?gclid=CNXA2

Thanks busted but I am familiar with the site, however it doesn't say what this type of slither it is. Is it just another name for an asian rat snake or what? As I said, it may be kin to the infamous (yet never seen) Nauga. I just don't know, and apparently, neither does Google. Mike

Mike,

I found this maybe it can give you something to help you find more information.

Karung (also called Ayers) snakeskin is from Acrochordus javanicus. This snake is known as the Java file, or elephant trunk snake and inhabits shallow tropical freshwater lagoons and streams in SE Asia. It is non-venomous and eats fish and eels. An adult Java file can reach 7-8 feet in length. It has really loose skin and a flattened tail for swimming.

Clay Miller

As I used to teach the Scouts in my LW merit badge classes; the Nauga is a large species of African slug. The hides are removed, tanned, then adhered to the cloth backing to help stabilize them since they are not as strong as cowhide.

As I used to teach the Scouts in my LW merit badge classes; the Nauga is a large species of African slug. The hides are removed, tanned, then adhered to the cloth backing to help stabilize them since they are not as strong as cowhide.

Good to know BIGGUNDOCTOR. I'll file that knowlege away along with trapping instructions for the deaded Western Mojave Hell Diver. It lives only in the deepest (35 ft. or more) lagoons on the north side of the Mojave River in the Calif. and Az. desert. Mike

Mike,

I found this maybe it can give you something to help you find more information.

Karung (also called Ayers) snakeskin is from Acrochordus javanicus. This snake is known as the Java file, or elephant trunk snake and inhabits shallow tropical freshwater lagoons and streams in SE Asia. It is non-venomous and eats fish and eels. An adult Java file can reach 7-8 feet in length. It has really loose skin and a flattened tail for swimming.

Clay Miller

Thanks Clay, that's the information I was looking for. I finally got something more on it's range etc. when googling 'file snake'. It looks as though I can lawfully utilize this as inlay in some of my work, along with those others that I have mentioned. Again, I appreciate the effort in taking the time to reply. Mike

Hey Katsass,

whereabouts in the Mojave are you? I have a friend in Cal City, and I cruise through there on my up to the Bay Area to get stuff out of my folks estate.

Hey Katsass,

whereabouts in the Mojave are you? I have a friend in Cal City, and I cruise through there on my up to the Bay Area to get stuff out of my folks estate.

BIGGUNDOCTOR: I'm on the outskirts (or used to be the outskirts) of Victorville, CA. Not too far off the !5. This used to be a nice little town 50+ years ago when I moved here. 'Taint so anymore. Rt. 66 came right thru the middle of town back then........still does, but the new folks don't realize it much. Mike

Edited by katsass

I was through that area a couple of weeks ago on the way to get some machine shop equipment in Los Angeles. I also pass through there when I make the scrap runs for work. I usually stopped in Victorville for dinner on the way back home, the Korean BBQ was pretty good. They have excellent Kim Chee. One of my coworker lived in Victorville until we relocated to Utah. I am 50 miles NE of Vegas on the 15. Maybe one of these days we can get together, and have a chat.

I was through that area a couple of weeks ago on the way to get some machine shop equipment in Los Angeles. I also pass through there when I make the scrap runs for work. I usually stopped in Victorville for dinner on the way back home, the Korean BBQ was pretty good. They have excellent Kim Chee. One of my coworker lived in Victorville until we relocated to Utah. I am 50 miles NE of Vegas on the 15. Maybe one of these days we can get together, and have a chat.

Sounds good to me......give a shout before you make the run and we'll see what we can work out. Mike