Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

Calling all 441 clone users: experimentation

For the most part, I've figured out how to stitch reliably one layer of 5/6 oz chrome or veg tan using my 441 with 277 poly on top and 207 on bottom. By reliably, I mean that the stitching looks attractive and knots are not pulled obscenely to the bottom or the top of the stitch. The main thing I did was to set the bobbin tension nearly as loose as possible without having the bobbin thread fall out from between the forked tab of the bobbin tension plate. This allows 95 percent of adjustments to be made to the top thread while stitching, and then maybe only a smidgen of a turn to the bobbin tension screw if necessary. Also was the use of a presser foot that holds the leather down with some pressure. Increasing presser foot tension was also helpful.

If any of you are willing and have the time, could you also try to do the same on your machine? I'm curious to know how the various versions of these 441's, long and short arms, handle this task.

I'll run some samples of my own and post detailed pictures.

Ed