sproggy

Tallow Rising Out Of Leather And Destroying Hardware.

Hi all, I did a small production with some oil chamois leather and have run into some problems. I have a white coating coming out of the leather, especially in dry conditions. All metal hardware is also being slowly eaten away or blemished. From what I understand, the white is tallow used for softening. Does this make sense? Is it also the tallow which is affecting the hardware or is that some other chemical/substance? More importantly, what can I do to remedy the situation on the already finished bags, if anything? I can clean the hardware some and luckily my bag style is sort of "diamond in the rough" so I might be able to get away with a distressed look on the hardware. But I'm afraid things will continue to degrade and perhaps even the leather will fall apart. Any advice?

FYI I live in Thailand and the bags were made during the humid season. No it is dry and the effects are becoming visible. I also just got back from the east coast of the US where some of the bags were in a heated and very dry house and the tallow rose up en masse!

Thank you, Sproggy.

Is this chrome tanned leather?

Hi Tree Reaper...I'm not sure. I recall someone unreliable saying that it was but I cannot verify that. I don't know my leather that well. It's very soft and buttery feeling. Does that tell us anything?

Many similarily tanned leather have a "bloom" that comes off them periodically.

I know that Horween leather, which is very deeply tallowed in its processing, has a whitish layer come off it. They suggested a clean soft cloth and to buff it out. I have not heard of it attacking hardware, may be coated and easily oxidized metals?

Edited by WScott

Tallow is a natural product from an animal as far as I know and it shouldn't cause corrosion.

It could be the tanning salts from chrome tanning but I couldn't say if your leather is chrome tanned or not.

Thanks, guys. It seems I may have two different things going on then. The tallow and then the oxidizing/corrosion of the metal from some acid left in the leather. At least I won't worry about the tallow. It does seem to wipe off though on some items it is harder to remove than from others.

Is there some way to seal this "acid" into the leather so it doesn't harm the metal? Yes, tree reaper, the hardware is plated. Actually, it has also corroded the metal zippers in some cases. They are YKK bronze zippers and have been appearing with some green and whitish coating on them where they are in close contact with the leather. I was also thinking if I lightly oiled the hardware that might help protect it some.

You can use a little heat from a hair dryer and wipe the white off but neutralizing the chemicals in the hide might be more of a challenge.

When I was chrome tanning I used baking soda for that purpose and tested the Ph with test strips but the hides were still wet and submersed in the tanning solution.

Edited by Tree Reaper

I know of a Swiss company that made a much larger production here with the same leather and shipped it to Switzerland. Of course, being cold and dry with drying heat indoors they are experiencing the same problem but to a worse degree. And their bags aren't the distressed style. Don't know how they're coping.

That's an idea with the baking soda. I might try just dabbing some solution on around the hardware as a test. I might have to "distress" the hardware even more so it looks like it's intentional. This is not such a bad thing if it works. As I said, my style has sort of a rough and used/vintage look so it might work. Well, I do love turning mistake/problems into positive things. I discover many new ideas this way but it's a worrisome road to travel in regards to time and money.

I'll try the hair dryer, too. Thanks.

I assume the acids will slowly destroy the leather, yes?

It may not be acid but salt because pickling salt is also used.

It shouldn't bother the hides but it will cause a rash on bare skin with something like a watch strap.

Bronze and stainless steel hardware will be more resistant to corrosion.

I just got an answer that it is indeed chrome tanned. Thank you for your help. Cheers!