gkyork

Work Bench Question

Hello

I have a small portable bench that I built some years ago. It has an expanded metal work surface (18 x 24 inch, I want to slab it with birch plywood) It also has a small vise with associated anvil. my intention is to make and sell bracelets and bookmarks(to start). My question is, should this suffice so long as it will withstand the hammering?

Depends how what you are doing and how big the hammer is. If you are just cutting and setting rivets on the vise/anvil then it will probably suffice. If you are stamping, it may work if you put a piece of granite on the top. You want hard and unmovable for stamping.

For punching, you want something hard to support material but forgiving to protect the punch. A treestump is ideal and cheep. Plywood can dull punches faster.

The size of hole you are punching also matters. If you are making little 1/8" punch holes, you will be OK on your table . Pull out the 1 1/2" circle punch and your table will be quite inadequate. The hammer i use for 1" and bigger punches is a 3lb rock drilling hammer with a short handle. That hammer will drive a 1/8" punch right through that birch plywood.

There are a few pretty cool workbench threads on this site if you poke around.

Workbenches are all about customization to what you do. With any workbench, build it as sturdy as you can then add an extra brace and a few more screws.

In the words of Tom Lipton, youtube machinist, "Nothing too-strong ever broke"

Edited by TinkerTailor