Sign in to follow this  
poseidon

Real Leather?

got this from a local shoe leather supply and I just want to ask if you guys can tell if this is real leather? it doesn't smell like leather but I know this method does not always work? or it does?

1307105089.jpg

1307104952.jpg

1307105032.jpg

In my opinion, it is real leather. The close-up photo shows not only the clamp marks from the tannery, but the grain fibers on the edge. I think it safe to say you weren't skunked.

I thought so but the smell is not like the other kind of leather i've handled Iguess you really can't base it by the way they smell thanks sir.

Since you got it from a shoe leather supplier, most likely that is not veg-tan. It's probably chrome tan, or perhaps even oil tan leather. It would be good for pretty much anything that will see a lot of flexing, like a wallet back, or the like. It probably won't mold very well, either, so keep that in mind when you plan your project. ( i.e. not the best leather if you want to make a sheath or holster)

got this from a local shoe leather supply and I just want to ask if you guys can tell if this is real leather? it doesn't smell like leather but I know this method does not always work? or it does?

1307105089.jpg

1307104952.jpg

1307105032.jpg

when in doubt, burn it.

if its real leather or some other form of animal skin, it will smell like it when burnt. shave off a sliver and burn it. if you dont know what it should smell like, try taking some known leather and burn it.

btw, be aware of sole leather. its treated with some chemicals.

It looks like oil tanned leather to me. I use it a lot to make chinks - very durable. It won't take a stamp or mold at all, but should work fine for a belt, although it is difficult to burnish the edges. I'm not sure how you plan to cut it. A draw knife won't work very well, the leather is not stiff enough. I lay it flat, keep it tight and use a long strait edge and a sharp blade. Don't over stretch it unless you want a curvy belt, sometimes I clamp the strait edge to hold it tight and avoid the leather slipping underneath. Get the cleanest cut you can.

Good luck and have fun!