Our new Juki DNU1451S came assembled and included a small bottle of oil (unmarked). The hook 'tank' reservoir underneath is nearly empty and wanted to check two things:

1. Is the oil used for 'topside' oiling the same as what's used in the reservoir underneath?
  2. The manual specifies only one oil spec - Juki New Delfrix Oil No. 2 (equivalent to ISO VG32)
    1. I see the Juki oil No 2 on the market - but also Juki No 1 oil, Lilywhite, Viscosity 5W oil for sewing machines, etc.
    2. We expect to purchase the Juki oil No 2, but are curious about the differences and their purpose?

Thanks!

Mark

Hey Mark. The main difference is the temperature at which the oil is expected to perform the best. Juki 1 has a lower viscosity and works best with cooler operating temps. Juki 2 has a higher viscosity and works well with higher operating temps.

In the big picture of things, you could probably use either oil and be just fine. Juki is however very proud of their oil (expensive!) I buy my oil in bulk with about the same viscosity as the 2.

There is however a big difference when sewing a custom leather item at a fairly slow pace, never getting things warm in the machine and a factory where the machine will be pushed hard for 8 hours solid. Juki has to recommend the particular oil they feel will do the very best under the most extreme conditions. Some machines run hotter than others. You will never notice a difference with hobby or casual use. I use an infrared thermometer to monitor certain machines during the day. I can quickly spot an oil or bearing problem before something seizes up. It does happen.

I had a machines oil pump fail years ago and the top shaft froze. It went from 3600 stitches per minute to zero. It seized so hard, the machine and stand tipped over. The operator was in shock for a few days...heh. Congrats on your new machine and have fun!

Regards, Eric

Eric - thanks, this is very helpful.

So it looks like the recommended Juki oil is equivalent to ISO VG32, which is a 10 (single) weight oil. And other recommended oils on the market are 5 weight (thinner). So for my purpose, either of these single weight oils will work fine - both in the reservior tank and for manual oiling on top.