timjtodd

In Skirt Rigging Designs

I'm getting ready to build a cutting saddle and am leaning toward and in skirt rigging. I've not done an in skirt before so I'd be interested in seeing different designs for them. Pictures, Drawings, whatever you've got. I really like the one Jon has over in the flat plate discussion.

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

I wanted to offer a couple of tips on your in skirt. First, make sure you cut a deep enough stitch groove so your thread won't suffer from abrasion and glue your top piece really well to the skirt. Secondly concerns the selection of rigging plates available. I use the 5053 plate a lot, but I prefer the 550 rivet-in flat ring. They are very strong because they are a continuous ring, and there is much more room to maneuver the latigo through the plate. Four rivet holes are pre-drilled. You can get these from Herb Bork, Boise Foundry, and Harwood. Harwood is the only one I know of that offer these in stainless. I've attached a pic of a saddle I built using the 550.

Jon

Beautiful saddle Jon, worth the wait to see it. So in the front half of that skirt is there 3 layers of leather or two? And then the back half is just two right?

Jon, what a beatiful saddle, your usual nice job. . I'm not familiar with building an in-skirt with a rear D like that you wouldn't have some under construction pictures of one somewhere would you ?

Edited by JRedding

Tim,

There are only 2 layers throughout the skirt and rigging system, with the exception of where the rear plugs extend toward the front (no front plugs). This should overlap the rigging leather about 4" and skive to blend. Sewing this all together adds additional strength. I've attached a couple more pix for clarification. Also you might want to look at cowboylegacy.com. There are three saddles on there by Keith Seidel. All three use the 550 ring and clearly display what I consider a premium in-skirt, as well as being some of the finest saddles you will see!

Jon

plugs.JPGstart.JPG

post-5418-1203540934_thumb.jpg

post-5418-1203541173_thumb.jpg

Jon. I have also had problems posting pics but never did pre crash, dunno it might just be me.

Barra

Jon,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I have been thinking of doing and in skirt rigging on my next saddle and your help here is very appreciated.

Thanks again,

Ben